STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Marley and Me...

I've kept pretty close to the house this weekend, as Mark has been sick. Poor boy.. if he's not feeling considerbly better in the morning, he'll be making a return visit to the Doctor. He was "diagnosed" with Strept throat on Friday night, but the penicillin doesn't seem to have made much of a difference yet.... the glands in his neck are still very swollen and sore... he's been surviving on not much more than popsicles... poor kid. When he's lying on the couch all day, and doesn't even have the Sports channel on, I KNOW he's not feeling well!
I did read a book in between my "nursing duties".. it's a good quick easy read- what I refer to as "summer reading".... "Marley and Me" by John Grogan. Anyone who is a dog lover, or simply an animal lover would enjoy this story- a true story of a young family and their lively Labrador Retriever. It was made into a movie starring Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson - I know if I see the movie I'll have to have a few Kleenex nearby as I shed a few tears over the book so for sure the movie will make me cry.... Along with lots of laughs over this crazy dog's antics, it is also a love story of sorts - the love between dog and master... and anyone who loves their pet can appreciate what this family goes through. It's amazing how attached one can get to a dog or cat - they truly do become part of the family and your lives are enriched by their presence.
Our family has certainly been changed by our beautiful Maine Coon cat, Oliver, aka Ollie. He keeps us laughing with his antics and hijinks, and is very loving. He demands attention and love on a daily basis, but returns it ten-fold. Here he is in his favourite spot for the summer months- lying in the family room window. He longs to be outside, but this is the next best thing - he is "entertained" by the birds, squirrels, butterflies, etc. in the back yard. I just keep praying that he doesn't push out the screen someday and "escape"...
Pets truly do leave pawprints on your heart....
Piece,
Linda

"If animals could speak, the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow; but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much." ~ Mark Twain

1 comment:

GailM. said...

Yes, I agree. Pets can be entertaining. We have had 1 dog and a couple of cats. We loved them all. I heard that was a good book. I must read it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...