STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Busy days in the Garden...

Spring is such a busy time. There is so much to be done outdoors and plants are growing so quickly- I can see differences daily! It's hard to keep up. I've been working away at some large clumps of deep purple Japanese Iris. I haven't had many blooms the last few years so I've been trying to clear away the old dead leaf stalks at the base of the clumps. They sure look much better and I'm hoping that helps to produce more blooms. I also gave them a healthy shot of high phosphate fertilizer today. I usually use the regular Miracle Grow, but also bought a box of the "Ultra Bloom" type so we'll see if that makes a significant difference. I have one last perennial bed to finish tidying, and perhaps a few plants to move. Also some seeds to plant, but will wait another week or so for that job. Tomorrow is supposed to be 32 C!! I'll believe it when I see it, but it sure would be nice. I plan to work outside most of the day, finishing up that last bed and getting my top-dressing done, emptying out my compost bin... My apple trees are coming into bloom, so it will be very pleasant working in my backyard, smelling those apple blossoms!
Last night was the Spring Concert for the choir I sing in - a newly formed Ladies Choir. It is such a thrill and truly a privilege to sing with such a group. We are about 90 voices strong- so we can make quite a sound!! Our Director, Dianne Wilkins, is well known and widely respected in music circles so our new Choir has gotten a good bit of interest. We got a very good crowd last night, the chuch was nearly full. We had quite a diverse program, singing in English, French, Latin, Spanish and Hebrew. Our group ranges from 18 year olds who previously sang in Dianne's Schoolgirl Choir, to some ladies who are definitely well into their senior years. We are all linked by our love of music and singing. I can't wait to start our second year in September!
Tomorrow night is our final Guild get-together - our last Executive meeting and Dessert Potluck. Not sure what yummy dessert I will make yet - no doubt something quick and easy so I can spend most of my day gardening...
Sorry no photos today. Tomorrow I'll take some apple blossom photos - too bad I cannot give you the sweet scent as well!! The smell of the blossoms always reminds me of my Dad. He loved these old trees. He helped HIS father plant the dozen apple trees that are now in my back yard, when he was only five years old. Not sure how much "work" he did at that age... Guess that makes my trees eighty-eight years old!!

Does anyone remember memorizing this poem in grade school...?
"I meant to do my work today...
But a brown bird sang in the apple tree
And a butterfly flitted across the field
And all the leaves were calling me..."

Piece,
Linda

Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.

1 comment:

GailM. said...

It was a great concert. I loved the music and really, really wanted to sing along to the songs that I knew. But I held back, in consideration for the people around me, who where there to enjoy the choir singing, not me. Bravo. I thought they should have done an encore!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...