STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sashiko mat


Here is the completed Sashiko mat I have been working on, the last day or two. Finally finished. This is from a kit given to me probably at least 10 years ago. (It came from Maple Tree Quilts - a wonderful quilt shop that was on Bank St. in the Glebe in Ottawa. Sadly, the shop is no more.... What a shame...) I guess it's about time I dug this out and put it together......
The mat is 19" square, the sashiko center is 12" square. I stitched it in a variegated Finca perle cotton, purchased from Sande Gunning at River Gallery. It was a lovely thread to work with.The borders are quilted with a 2.5 twin needle with Sulky thread in two shades of pale gold.As usual, if you click on the image, you will get a closeup view.
Here is Ollie "helping" me with this project. How is he helping, you ask? Well, if you look closely, you will see that he is lying on my ironing board, on some folded fabric - what I had selected for the binding. Ollie took it upon himself to "hold it down", in case it tried to get away... He's so useful!!
He loves to lie on the ironing board and watch me sew. Do you think perhaps he was a Quilter in his former life?
Piece,
Linda
Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints on your heart.

2 comments:

Linda G said...

Love your piece. Again inspiring! I have three cats that love to help but mostly they stick to embelishing with fur these days.

Karen said...

Love the Sashiko mat.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...