STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, March 13, 2009

Are you triskaidekaphobic?

Triskaidekaphobia is the fear of the number 13. If you are triskaidekaphobic, then you may also be paraskavedekatriaphobic, which means you fear Friday the 13th. Yep - it's that day again - the second one this year, and we have one more to come in November! I'm not superstitious, so the day didn't bother me at all. Just another Friday as far as I'm concerned. It was cold and windy, felt like January, but at least the sun shone and there was no white stuff falling from the sky.

Have you noticed how many triskaidekaphobics there must be in the world, though? Think about it.. you rarley see a 13th floor in a tall building, or Gate 13 at an airport. Many hospitals and hotels have no rooms numbered 13, and many airplanes have no 13th row.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt would not travel on the 13th day of the month , and would never host 13 guests at a meal. Mark Twain was once the 13th guest at a dinner party, although friends advised him not to go. Twain later told the friend "You were right. It was bad luck. They only had food enough for 12."


I am working on another Miniature, the photo here is a clue. I'll reveal the mini quilt once it's done, hopefully in a few days. My Guild meeting is the 17th so I plan to have it ready for Show and Tell... Any ideas on the design?


In another few days, once I've made a little more progress, I'll show some photos of my CQ stocking, as well. Stay tuned....

Piece,
Linda

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." - Mark Twain

4 comments:

Marie Alton said...

Linda...I love this post...I'm perfectly fine with Friday the 13th...in fact I revere them as lucky days! Melanie was born on a Friday the 13th in November ... so thanks for the heads up!
She'll have her BD this year on the exact day she was born! She'll be 17 this year!

GailM. said...

I'm with Marie on Friday the 13ths. I met my wonderful husband on Friday the 13th and I always think about how unlucky somebody was, that I got him and they didn't!!!

I love your new photo. But I do miss Oli. I thinnk you should put his pic back up - maybe at the bottom of your sidebar. Not that Oliver looks girly in any way, but he reminds me of my Kitty!

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing the block pattern is "spools" which has an inset seam. Wish I was at guild to see it!

Marie Alton said...

Ohhh...that reminds me ... I meant to say that I too LOVE your new photo! Not that Ollie isn't the sweetest ... it is nice to put a face to the name!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...