STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, December 16, 2013

The Big Dig


Today we are digging out after yesterday's blizzard hit us with over a foot of snow. Hubby figures we got at least 15"-16" here on the hill. When things are blowing and drifting it's hard to get an accurate measurement, but looking at the path he cut across the backyard with the snowblower, I'd say that's a conservative estimate. We got a few more inches overnight, just in case someone was not yet tired of shovelling... This is what it looked like yesterday about noon, looking out into the backyard.






And this was the view looking out the front window to the house across the street and down the 3rd fairway of the golf course. Can you feel the cold and the wind? It was not a very nice day... but a good day to be inside looking out...







But here's the same view today at noon- much nicer! Blue skies and sunshine! And it's somewhat warmer... "Warmer" being the operative word there. What I mean is the temps of last week, -20°C and below  are now up to around -10°C. That's an improvement of about 20 degrees on the Fahrenheit scale.



Even though it meant the cancellation and rescheduling of our Ladies Choir Christmas Concert, I have to say I rather enjoyed the storm day. It was one of those old-fashioned rip-snortin' storms where you just hunkered down and gave thanks for being safe in a warm house (and not losing power). I made a big pot of spicy chili for supper, did some stitching, a little more decorating, watched a couple of good movies... just basically "took the day off". Today I'm back to the frantic pace of Christmas "things to be done". I'm making good progress, but still have a daily to do list.
Our Concert will be held tonight at 7:30. If you are a local reader and have not heard our 110 voice choir, why not treat yourself to the wonderful gift of music tonight? There will be tickets at the door of St. Dunstans, doors open at 6:45.  I guarantee you will enjoy our selections.
So- we're into the final full week before Christmas. Laura is working the last 5 days of a 15 days straight stretch! She has worked the last two weekends in order to get a few days off to come home. I'm praying for good weather on Friday for her drive. Mark is into his exam period- has his two hardest ones today. At least they'll be behind him. He finishes Wednesday and will likely come home Thursday. I'm still busy stitching and sewing but can't show you much as these are Christmas gifts. I will have one small piece to show this week, assuming the framer calls to say it's ready.
The sun is shining and the sky is blue, at least for now. All is well in our world. Hoping yours is the same.

Peace,
Linda

"Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas." ~ Calvin Coolidge

4 comments:

Dolores said...

We got it first but not that much. It is nice to look at, staying inside where it's warm.

Pamela Gordon said...

I promise that I didn't look at your post before I did mine Linda. LOL (You may see some similarities) Great pictures and I like the before and after of the street view. We sure got a lot of snow and I hear there is more coming tomorrow night and Wednesday and Friday too?? Enough already! I hope your concert is a success tonight. Sing your heart out. Pam

Gwen Buchanan said...

Great description of the storm, Linda.. The wind blew so much we found it hard to guess how much snow we received.

MissesStitches said...

Whew! My barely frost temps here in northern California sound like nothing compared to what you have. Really glad I'm here. I grew up in Iowa, so I know what blizzards are like. Yes they make for a cozy feeling, but I wouldn't trade my current weather for yours! Stay safe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...