STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Beauty in Blue

We've had two grey dreary days - no good at all for taking photos of my Blue Mystique orchid. Finally today we've had some sunshine and my kitchen was bright enough to attempt more photos. I much prefer photos outside with natural light but of course in our frigid Canadian winters, this just won't work. My tropical orchid would not be at all happy to be taken outside in below freezing temps. So I did the best I could. Actually I finally had a brainwave and got my Ott light out to shed more "natural light" on the whole situation- I think it worked fairly well! So here are a few more photos of my Blue Mystique Phalaenopsis Orchid. Isn't she a beauty?




I am still trying to lose the remnants of my cold. It seems to be hanging on for dear life. I feel much better, but don't sound a whole lot better.... still coughing. Our Ladies Choir Christmas Concert is just a week away - Dec. 15th - this cough had better be gone by then!! If you are a local reader, there are tickets available at Westminster Books, and there will be a small number at the door. I still have a few left but will be turning them in on Tuesday night at our last Dress Rehearsal. It's going to be our best Christmas Concert yet - 110 voices singing in six languages - English, French, Spanish, Hebrew, Latin and Mi'kmaq. AND - our very first CD will be launched at this concert. We will be singing three selections from it, as well as the Christmas music so the audience is in for a real treat! Why don't you give yourself the gift of music and plan to attend on Sunday afternoon, Dec.15th?

Peace,
Linda

"Music is to the soul what words are to the mind." ~ Modest Mouse

4 comments:

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

I can't believe the color of that orchid, it just doesn't seem real! How wonderful to have such beauty in the middle of winter cold. Merry Christmas.

Linda H said...

Patricia- the blue color is not natural. In my previous post I explained this is a "color infused" orchid - the natural color is the purple you see. I'm not 100% sure how they do the color infusion, but I'm guessing the roots soak up a blue dye perhaps and it transfers up to the blooms? It's been years since I've taken Biology but I know there is a "proper scientific term" for this process...

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

No matter how it got that way, the colours in the orchid are stunning. I know fresh cuts like carnations will take colour up their stem in water but don't know how a potted plant would do it.

Pamela Gordon said...

Your orchid is gorgeous, Linda. What a brilliant colour! I hope your concert goes well and am sure it will be amazing. I didn't know you had made a CD. Our church concert is the same day so I won't be able to make it to yours - again! I hope your cold is all gone and you will be able to sing your best. Blessings to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...