STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Red, White and Blue....







Today I thought I'd give you a slightly different look at the ole "red, white and blue" theme. No, I haven't moved stateside,  I'm still right here in wintery white Canada. But red, white and blue is what I'm looking at these days. The white is on the outside - and it's piling up - snowing yet again tonight as another nasty storm system moves in. The red and blue are on the inside - I have a red amaryllis blooming, and my Blue Mystique Phalaenopsis orchid is still showing off, with all buds now open. So, take a moment to enjoy the beauty. Red, white and blue. A great combo, at any time of year....











This red amaryllis is a new one this year. After the bulb I purchased in November showed no signs of life after more than a month, I returned  and exchanged it for one already potted and growing. There were two stalks, the first stalk with five blooms is done and this is the second stalk- 4 blooms currently with  two more buds still to open. It is more of an orangey red and is called "Sovereign".




















Outside, the snow is accumulating. These photos were taken several days ago,when we had a brighter day - the last two days have been very grey - yep, another storm system moving in... We're supposed to get up to 25 cm. overnight- that's about 10 inches for those of you not familiar with the metric system. I can't remember a December with this much snow, not in a long time... Makes you wonder what things are going to look like in another month, if it continues like this...






My Blue Mystique orchid is still blooming. I've had it for about 6 weeks now, I think, and today was the first day that a few withering petals have dropped. This is my first ever orchid, so I am amazed that the blooms are this long lasting. Would that all blooms lasted so well! I loved the rich deep blue of the first "infused" blooms but now am enjoying the "two-tone" effect as the natural purple color has appeared with the last opening buds.


Peace,
Linda

"Colors speak all languages." ~ Joseph Addison

2 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

Your Amaryllis and orchid are beautiful, Linda. I guess I can say the snow is pretty too but I'm really tired of all these storms already. I mean. Where are we going to put the snow if it keeps on coming?? Maybe we'll have an early January thaw that will melt things down a bit. Happy New Year to you and Brian and the family. Blessings, Pam

Jeanna said...

Hi Linda. Your amaryllis and orchid are both very pretty. A bit of happy to offset the dreary outside. Happy New Year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...