STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, October 24, 2011

Best of Show at Follow The Stars

The "star of the show", so to speak, was Fundy Mermaid by Nancy Elaschuk. It won first place in the Art Quilt category, and also Best of Show (and therefore the CQA Rosette). Congrats Nancy!! Her design was adapted from a copyright free painting by W. Waterhouse and the mermaid's face is that of Nancy's daughter Kathleen. I thought the mermaid was very well done- the shading of the skin, the face, hair.. it was all wonderful! (Of course the entire piece was wonderful!!) Nancy did a lot of great thread painting, hopefully you can see it on the two detail shots. Especially impressive were the tiny "scales" on the mermaid. Nancy's work is always impressive, and I was thrilled to learn, after the judging was complete, that this mermaid was Nancy's creation.








Because this piece won Best of Show, it was moved from it's original location on the back wall, to the "front" of the Show (before the Show was open to the public). The Show Committee members decided that the ribbons would not be hung on it until the ribbon-cutting and the Show "officially opened". Then the announcement would be made (I'm sure they were anxious to surprise Nancy). I was leaving about a half hour prior to the Opening, and who do I run into in the entrance, but Nancy. She asked what I thought of their show and of course I praised it highly. As we chatted, several of the Committee members inside (through a large window) could see us chatting, and the looks on their faces were priceless- I'm sure they were worried I was telling Nancy that she had won the coveted "best" award... Nancy had her back to them, but I could see them plainly. It was all I could do not to laugh... Not to worry, ladies... I would never spoil the surprise.. I would have loved to see the look on her face, though, when the announcement was made. Next I'll show you the Guild 25th Anniversary Challenge- 25 Stars...

Piece,
Linda

"An artist is a dreamer consenting to dream of the actual world".
~George Santayana

3 comments:

GailM. said...

It's beautiful. My goodness, we have some talented quilters in our midst. What a beautiful piece. I hope to see it sometime.

Linda H said...

We sure do Gail!!

Wendy said...

Spectacular!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...