STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, March 5, 2010

What's on your Bookshelf?

When I started this Blog a little over a year ago, I said I wished I had kept a list of all the books I've read through the years... I realize it would be quite long by now, perhaps a whole journal full, who knows... but I do sincerely regret not doing this. So I decided I would start a list on my sidebar. I am amazed how long it is already; it is about two years' worth of reading for me... I keep adding to it each time I finish a book I have enjoyed (a few have not made the list as I would not recommend them).

My latest "finish" is Shanghai Girls by Lisa See, author of Snow Flower and the Secret Fan which I read several years ago. I enjoyed this one every bit as much. The story of two sisters, Pearl and May, begins in pre-World War II Shanghai, then following the Japanese invasion, moves to the US and eventually LA's Chinatown. Although the girls enjoyed a life of privilege in their early years, they soon learn of their father's huge debt; he sells them to become the wives of two brothers - Gold Mountain men (Chinese who went to America to seek their fortune, then later returned to find Chinese brides). Even after fleeing Shanghai, the sisters face many trials and life is never easy. The story is a compelling one, rich with vivid imagery of Chinese culture and tradition... Well worth the read, in my humble opinion...
Last night I began another wonderful book - Blood Sisters by Barbara and Stephanie Keating. I'm only 73 pages in, and already finding it hard to put down. Stay tuned for a review...
So what are you reading? Any great books you can recommend?
Piece,
Linda
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese proverb

2 comments:

Quilting Queen said...

Hi Linda...my daughter gave me a copy of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" for Xmas. Surprisingly, I got a kick out of it. It certainly is not Jane Austen but there were funny parts. I thought I may as well read the other take off, "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters" and I cannot, in all honesty, say this one was fun. I skipped pages and did some speed reading and still it bored me. I hate to NOT finish a book so I persevered. I do not recommend it, but Pride is ok for a laugh.

Karen said...

Yesterday I read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Couldn't put it down... not sure I'd say it was an enjoyable read, but certainly a thought-provoking one. Have you read that one?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...