STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, March 27, 2010

There's nothing like a good book...

I've been on a little reading streak lately. Well, actually, if the truth be told, two of these were audio-books - does that count? Listening instead of actually reading the pages...well, whatever, the end result is the same- I've enjoyed all three of these: The Shack by William P. Young, Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay, and The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. By far my favourite was the latter. Bradley has written a wonderful murder mystery with a precocious 11 year old girl, Flavia de Luce as the central character, with little violence (well, except for the murder of course!), no sex and very little profanity - the odd "bloody" and "damn" are well placed. It is set in 1950 England. There is delightful humour and the characters are well developed. Flavia is a very intelligent young lady with an extensive vocabulary; she has a passion for Chemistry, and an obsession for poisons, in particular arsenic. She solves the mystery with careful thought and resourcefulness - she could teach Nancy Drew a thing or two... Yes I think this will be one of my "Top 5" for the year... well written, clever, witty, easy to read.. two thumbs up from this book lover! I can't wait for the next in Bradley's series with sleuth Flavia- The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag...it is just out a few weeks ago in hard cover. Not so sure I'm going to be able to wait for the paperback...
Piece
Linda
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body". ~ Joseph Addison

2 comments:

MissesStitches said...

The Bradley book sounds like I'd like it. I'll have to look for it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Patti Durand said...

thanks for the name of new authors I love mystries. I only have 9 more shifts until the end (28 of June) The MP guild gave me some Pineapple block as a going a way thing. they are Black with bright colors -all different but look good when I layed them out. Are you going to Quilt Shows this summer? I decided not to except for Ricky Tims. I do have a few friends coming in July and Sept.

Is there a picture of Blueberries and Cream on blog?

Patti Durad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...