STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Very late, or really early?

I have finally put the borders on this fall wallhanging. Over the years I have learned to not purchase border fabric for a quilt or wallhanging, until the top is all together. So many times I have purchased several yards or meters for a border, thinking it would be just perfect for a certain project. Then when I get the top all together and lay the purchased fabric beside it, it just doesn't work. So now I wait until I have the top done. I finished this piece last November at our Guild Retreat (having started it at the previous year's retreat), and just found the chocolate brown for the border a few weeks ago at The Quiltery in Riverview. So now it's ready for quilting. It measures 41" by 52" and it is straight and square, it's just looks angled here because of how I've taken the photo.

This design is from the book Celebrations by Janet Selck. I bought it a "few" years ago, thinking I would make all four seasonal wallhangings as they are just the perfect size for a particular wall in my home... Well I'm not sure that will happen, but at least I have the one done for autumn - I'm either very late for last fall, or really early for the coming one. I prefer to go with the "I'm all organized and ready early" theory...ha!
Have you ever had a project hanging around for so long , that once it's done, you're not sure you even like it anymore? That's the way I feel about this one... Maybe I'm just tired of looking at it...
I'm not 100% happy with some of my fabric choices, in particular I wish I had used slightly darker backgrounds behind the pumpkins, crow and sunflower... There just seems to be too much contrast between the dark brown border and the light backgrounds... Oh well, I'm not taking it apart now! One of my mottos is "Done is good."
Piece,
Linda
"The flowery Spring leads sunny Summer, the yellow Autumn presses near; then in his turn comes gloomy Winter, till smiling Spring again appear: Thus seasons dancing, life advancing, Old Time and Nature their changes tell." ~ Robert Burns

3 comments:

MissesStitches said...

Linda, your wall hanging looks beautiful! I think you are very organized and early with your decorating. . .

Wendy said...

Nice Job Linda.So clever of you to be so early with your fall decor projects. Looks good to me, but I know what you mean. Our tastes change with the availability of fabrics. I am using colors I never thought I would use and what I thought I loved a few years ago is just so-so today.
Would a little bath in a tea dye make you happier with it?

GailM. said...

I like it too. The other projects in that book look like fun too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...