STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fall is here...

Despite the remaining few flowers in my perennial beds, shown on my previous post, Fall is definitely here. The days are getting shorter, (darn it!) and the temps are cooling down. We were lucky with beautiful warm weather on Thanksgiving weekend, but that is behind us now. I am still busy with outdoor work to be done; I dug out most of my carrots today, still have a half row more to get. After that there's not much left in the garden other than a few remaining beets and some weeds. I'll get it tilled up soon, and then it will lie in wait for spring to come.
No sewing happenin' here this week; I've been busy the last few days with boring stuff like making turkey soup, errands and laundry- all stuff you have to get done before going away. I'm off tomorrow to Amherst for my first ever visit to the Amherst Fibre Fest. You can read all about the exciting events here.  I think it's going to be a blast. I'll be sure to post some pics when we get back.
I did finish an excellent book last night (at 1:30a.m. - just couldn't go to bed until I reached the end and "solved the mystery"). I highly recommend The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. I read another of hers a month ago - The House at Riverton - I liked this one much better. A great story with lots of suspense - check it out!
Just have to share  one more photo with you this evening. As the moon rose tonight, it truly looked like the "harvest moon"- large and orangey. (actually I guess the Harvest moon was in September and this is known as the Hunter's Moon).  It was so beautiful, I ran back in to get my camera and walked about a hundred feet down the street where I could get a photo between the trees on the golf course. With a long lens on, it really brought the view of the north end of our city bridge much closer (it is several miles away). It is not a perfect photo, but I knew by the time I ran back to get my tripod, the moon would be under cloud. It was casting an orange glow on the light cloud just above it- I guess you'll have to trust me when I tell you it was almost magical-looking. And several minutes later, it was totally obscured by cloud...

Peace,
Linda

Reach for the moon. If you fall short, you might land on a star.

3 comments:

Susan Elliott said...

Oh. A magical moon indeed. Good that you got the shot. I've added the Forgotten Garden to my reading inbox...I need a change up from the series I'm listening to. Have fun at Amherst! I'm sure it will be a joy...how could it not?

Wendy said...

Nope, that's a Harvest Moon all right, and a beautiful picture of it. It was too overcast here in Nanaimo to even see it Tuesday night. Last night it was big and beautiful and I didn't have my camera!

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda
I just finished "The Forgotten Garden" last week & yes it was good beyond works. Amherst is the same. Works cannot explain all the
excitment in my life this week.
Hope to bump into you at the Zonta Bazaar on Fri or Sat.
Enjot & safe travels.
Mary Farrow Sinclair in Amherst

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...