STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, March 3, 2019

A Few Small Projects. Done.

I always have a long list of PTD's - that's Projects To Do... usually it includes some UFO's (UnFinished Objects) as well as new projects  that have been percolating a while. I'm sure I'm not the only quilter with such a list, whether it's actually written down, or just in the head. Knocking a few items off that list always feels good.
I've crossed off four items in the last few weeks. Since Laura, Noah and Layelah were coming the weekend before Valentines for a visit, I decided it was time to get a pillowcase made for Noah with a jungle animal print I've had since last summer, and a pink taggie blanket for Layelah. ❤️❤️  I also got a totebag made for one of my "choir sisters" and a runner finished.





The pillowcase was quick and easy. If you've never made a "magic pillowcase" (aka "sausage" or "burrito" pillowcase or "roll up" pillowcase) you're in for a treat. I followed this Youtube video with Alanda Craft but there are others out there too which are likely just as good. It is fast and pretty much foolproof, and all seams are enclosed ( French seams) for a professional finish. To make this you need 27" of your "focus" fabric, 9" for the cuff and 3" of a contrasting fabric for trim. This is easy to remember with 3x9=27.








I enjoy making these and can see I'll be keeping an eye out for fun fabrics to make more for the kids as you can easily have one done in an hour or less. Of course they are wonderful for an adult as well- a pair would make a nice little gift. There's no need for me to explain the process here, watch the video for a step by step illustrated guide. Noah decided he should be  a puppydog "model" for you... gotta love a two year old's humour...   :)


It was time for Layelah to have her own taggie blanket. She was enjoying Noah's and we just can't have our little girl using a blue taggie blanket, now can we? You can read a previous post here  for directions.












Her little fingers and toes are of the utmost interest these days; much of the time they are in her mouth, but when they're not, they are exploring, and babies love to feel different textures. (Update on Miss Layelah coming soon...) Don't you just love those little pink toes!?








A fellow alto in choir asked me if I would make her a totebag, with a keyboard around the bottom of the bag. She provided the fabric and I used a pattern I have used before with great success - the Fiji tote by Pink Sand Beach designs. The dimensions of the bag are slightly different (a bit narrower and taller) as I was limited by the length of fabric she provided, but otherwise I followed the pattern as given. The keyboard was fun to do, even though it took considerably longer than I expected. I doubled the white fabric so the black print would not show through, with a seam along the top and bottom of the strip so there would be no raw edges for wear and tear. This was fused on to the bag front and back, then blind hem-stitched with monofilament ("invisible") thread. I was concerned about the keys being in the right proportion, so I measured the keys on my piano - the white keys are 6" long and the black keys are almost 4" long. I knew 6" would just look too big on the bag, so I went with a 5" wide white strip and made the black keys in proportion.

The white keys were stitched with 12 wt. black thread with all thread ends pulled to the inside and knotted so there was no backstitching to show. The black keys were fused on and stitched around with black thread. I am pleased with how it turned out. In hindsight, if I was doing this again, I think I would piece the keyboard.. hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it...?

I'll save the runner for a future post.
What have you been working on lately?

Piece!
Linda

Sewing is not a hobby. It's an obsession, an occupation, a fascination, an addiction, self-expression and a way of life.

8 comments:

kath001 said...

Love the bag. Gorgeous.

The children are adorable! Oh...those toes are just begging to be nibbled! :)

My youngest granddaughter made a pillow case in school, which surprised and delighted me. She was so proud of it.

Jennifer said...

My goodness, haven't those two littlies grown!! Love the pillowcase fabric, and the musician in me adores that bag.

Karen said...

You've been keeping busy! Your grands are adorable - that Noah! :)

Vee said...

Love that bag! Very clever! I have done the magic pillowcase and the tactile toy, but I am not swift enough to do very smart things. 😉

I practiced with my own pattern for a quilt square. It will not make quilting digest, but it does make an okay potholder. I do love old-fashioned potholders over the new-fangled gloves.

Farm Quilter said...

Great pillow for the puppy!! The tag blankie is adorable...but nothing really competes with the grands!! Love the tote...making those piano keys is hard!!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Great bag for a music lover! Your grands are precious. I have a new great grand and I'm not sure when we will meet. He is on the other side of the country. Pillow cases are great gifts aren't they.
xx, Carol

Linda said...

Kids just love their own special pillowcases. I have made lots and finally got around to making some for me. Your grandkiddies are so cute! Wish I had one!! The likelihood is not great but you never know how things will change. Until then I will spoil my two greatnieces and one greatnephew. The musical tote is awesome!

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Oh, Linda, these all are so beautiful, and useful too! Every time I see your posts, I would like to sew something, but in my current home there isn't a good place for the sewing machine... I have a huge number of UFOs. :)
Your grandchildren are simply adorable.
The Log Cabin Miniature in your previous post is gorgeous. The choice of colours is really elegant.
Have a lovely weekend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...