STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Taggie Blankets

A simple little sewing project to show you today. Have you heard of a taggie blanket? I can remember my friend Gail making these a few years back for her grandchildren and also for gifts.. I didn't pay close enough attention at the time. But now that I have a little grandson... now I'm taking notice!
A taggie blanket is a tactile experience for baby. It's made with a super soft fabric like Minkie on one side, and something soft and slippery on the back like satin. Around the edges are "tags" for them to grab and feel. I used 4" lengths of various ribbons folded in half to make a "tag" loop of just under 2". I used satin, grosgrain, sheer and any other type of ribbon I could find - anything that little fingers would find interesting to feel/rub/caress.. The more textures the better. The blanket itself is about 10" x 12", it doesn't need to be any bigger than that.


Now that Noah has received this little Valentines gift, I can show you. (I know, I know, HE doesn't read my blog, but his Mommy does...) Noah loves tags right now.. any toy that has a tag on it - well, I'm told he plays more with the tag than the toy, so this gift was well timed. I followed someone's wise advice and made two. That way, if he does get real attached to it (as some children do to their blankie, or bedtime stuffy, or whatever) and it gets lost, then there is a "backup."
They are quick and easy to make. Do you have a small child in your life who would like a taggie blanket?







Peace,
Linda

"A baby is born with a need to be loved - and never outgrows it." ~ Frank A. Clark

6 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

My daughter in law made those for gifts and all the babies seem to love them! It's a fun project. Hope your weather has improved! Sweet hugs...warm hugs...Diane

Pamela Gordon said...

I love the Minkie fabric. It's so soft and cosy. My friend has made a few of these taggie blankets. I'm sure Noah will enjoy his gift. Are you ready for the next blizzard??? Yikes!

Vee said...

No, but that is cool. Nice thinking to make a spare so they can be washed.

Jennifer said...

What a good idea......hadn't heard of those when our grandkid was a little tacker, I'm sure he would have liked one!

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Such a lovely idea... and the blanket made by you is of course also very beautiful! :)

Farm Quilter said...

Thanks for the instructions on how to make this!! I have two grands due this summer!! I'll be making these!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...