STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Ice and Snow, Snow and Ice...

Blizzard warning in effect! Whaaaat? The sun is shining brightly this morning and the sky is blue, the current temperature is -21°C (-5°F) with a wind chill of -27°C (-16°F) but a nasty nor'easter is on its way to us with high winds and heavy snow in the forecast - 25-55 cm. That's 10-22 inches! We just got a foot of snow on Thursday night/Friday. Schools were closed two days last week for storms, and I expect they'll be closed again tomorrow. It seems like Mother Nature is making up for a relatively easy January by dumping extra snow on us this month! And let's not talk about another storm that's coming on Thursday...
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the snow. "Snowbaby" I'm not, I don't ski or snowmobile, but I really don't mind the snow. It's the cold and the ice I dislike. Several friends have fallen and broken or cracked bones this winter already; the walking has been treacherous. I enjoy photographing shadows on the snow and the ice formations on the garage windows, the birds at the birdfeeder - you might say I'm enjoying winter "from the inside looking out."
So I'm cooking a roast today, in case we lose power tonight, and hubby has the snowblower and shovels all lined up, ready to roll! Bring it on, Mother Nature! We're ready!

This morning's visitors: L-R white-breasted nuthatch, red-breasted nuthatch, downy woodpecker


Peace,
Linda

"A snow day literally and figuratively falls from the sky, unbidden, and seems like a thing of wonder." ~  Susan Orlean

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

We survived our heatwave, now it seems it's your turn for extreme weather again! Take care in the ice, you don't want to be one of the broken folk.

Anonymous said...

alas we are getting another wintwr hit here in ma love the look of snow thats about all guess we all have things in common we have 2 ft of this stuff with another 16 in tonight my garden has been hiden from view also. love your indoor plants never had luck with mine thanks for the posts. from ma to canada mgmj1949@yahoo.com

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh Geez, Sorry you are part of that snow system that hit our East Coast region. I just saw a recount of our snow fall in this area for the winter so far. They predicted about 80" would fall, but our total so far is about 35. I sure hope we don't see the rest of the prediction. HOWEVER, we HAVE had I don't know HOW much rain. The other day they said if our rain had been snow it would have been 15". I cannot deny that I would rather have the warmer temps and the rain and that this has not been the winter they predicted we would have.

Stay warm and stay in if you can.
xx, CArol

Vee said...

It's been snowing without a break since it started Saturday morning. It's pretty strong now. It's supposed to go until early evening tomorrow and then another storm Wednesday and Thursday.

Vee said...

Hunker down! Good day for sewing? ( My first comment took off before I was finished. 😏

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Sounds like you had a good plan for today! I always loved to bake when it was bitterly cold too...oh and eat! heehee! Have a good week. Stay warm and safe!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Seems Ontario has been getting the blizzards first and then over to you the next day or so. So much snow that a number of people couldn't make it to work today!
A good time to tackle unfinished projects or get in a bit of reading.
Happy Valentine's Day Linda.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...