STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Anxious for Spring

March. That "in between" month. It's not quite spring, but you're hoping winter is on the way out. The sun is strengthening, it feels warmer on the face, but the wind is still bitterly cold. The snow has receded a lot, but now it's no longer pretty; the snowbanks are dirty, and sidewalk areas that had melted are now icy again. The potholes are rearing their ugly heads, or should I say bottoms - yes they seem bottomless! Hit just a couple and you need a wheel alignment. Although spring "officially" arrives (according to the calendar) in just over two weeks, we all know the reality can be a bit different. The fact is, I'm ready for spring now. I'm tired of winter. I'm tired of being cold. I'm tired of white. I'm ready for green.






So to feed my thirst for some green, I visited a local nursery/greenhouse this afternoon. I thought perhaps you are tired of winter too, and would appreciate seeing some colour. It just gives me a boost to see lots of green, and the odd bloom doesn't hurt either! The numerous shades of green and the many leaf shapes are always interesting... large, small, striped, fuzzy, curly, spiky, heavily veined, so much variety!












And of course, there were colourful blooms, from the seasonal shamrocks and primulas to the exotic orchids, all are a feast for the eyes.





















Aren't these beautiful?
















And who could resist the hibiscus or the hellebore? Ahhhh, a winter greenhouse visit feeds my soul...
What about you? Are you dreaming of spring? Do you visit your local greenhouse for a taste of what's soon to come?





Peace,
Linda

"...when Nature resumes her loveliness, the human soul is apt to revive also." ~ Harriet Ann Jacobs

9 comments:

Vee said...

Pace yourself, Linda. Spring is a long way away yet. Good idea to visit a greenhouse...have never done that this early, but I have attended flower shows.

Jennifer said...

I recognise some of those plants.....that purple one in the centre of the first picture, don't know what it's called, but I had one in the 1970s. In an orange pot, would you believe. Well, it was the 70s.....

GailM. said...

What beautiful pictures. It's hard to believe, but we will be home in a month. I hope spring is right around the corner too.. I'm glad your brother is ok..Whew..that must have been so worrysome.. Take Care.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Jennifer, I too had that plant when I collected house plants. I know it as a Prayer Plant. I used to pinch, pinch, pinch it back to keep it from getting old and woody. I gave it away with the entire collection when I grew tired of caring for them and arranging my furniture to suit my plant's light needs.

Linda, I agree totally with your thought on March. Hard to believe it's here already, but I yearn for MAY and tending my garden and pond. Come on FROGS!!
xx, Carol

HollyM said...

There are no winter greenhouses up here. Everything is still buried in several feet of snow. It's white and fresh at least. I'm e joying being able to get out.
I must say I'd like a couple of primula or small primroses. I must look. Your photos are beautiful!

Sheila said...

Thanks for sharing thesettings colourful photos , we don't have a greenhouse here so I appreciate your pretty green photos and of course the blooms 😊

Anonymous said...

Hi, I saw your comment on Vee's blog and thought I would pay a visit. These are lovely photos of the greens and blooms. I live in north Georgia, and we are beginning to see color...jonquils, quince, forsythia are all budding out. Winter is my least favorite season, so I am anxious for spring. Have a very nice day.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Hello Linda, your March sounds like our April! :D
Yes, in this part of the country we still need to wait... but the warmer sun that cheers us up every day a little bit longer makes miracles nevertheless.

Your photos are wonderful. There aren't nurseries or garden centers very near us, so it's lovely to see these photos! Thank you!

Big hugs!

Katie Mansfield said...

I'm dreaming of spring. Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. I'm a new follower.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...