STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Baby Steps...

I have finished my latest Miniature. It measures 7.5" by 9.25". I call it Baby Steps to Spring (as we seem to be making very little progress on that front, but I digress...) The design Baby Steps is by Carol L. Steffensen for Chickadee Hollow Designs. The pattern calls for civil war prints but I just had to do it in bright spring-y colors. The background fabric I have used is a Moda Kansas Troubles print. I thought it was perfect - just enough of a design for interest (I'm not a  solids kinda gal) but very subtle so as not to compete with the bright prints and the embroidery and buttons. The other fabrics are just a mixture from my stash, mostly small prints, a few batiks, chosen solely for their color. It is machine quilted, "in the ditch". The buttons were purchased in Florida, at the World Quilt Show vendors mall at the same booth where the pattern was purchased. ( I learned that lesson long ago - buy 'em when you see 'em because you may not find them again later. Especially if it's something you really want. For sure you won't be able to find it again somewhere else..) So what do you think? Do you like it? I think it's just down right CUTE. As a button. Ha!
 It's a very simple design- just 1" (finished)  four patches joined in columns, sashed and bordered, with a  little embroidery and some tiny buttons to finish it off. You couldn't get much easier than that. I love challenging myself with more complex miniatures but this one was just for fun. I have several Miniatures classes coming up and I always like to have one or two new ones to show. For those who are new to working very small, sometimes it's a challenge for me to hep them choose a suitable "first project". Or perhaps I should say, a challenge to help them choose something fairly simple to start with. Many look at my most difficult piece and say "I want to do that one". Far be it from me to discourage anyone or stifle their enthusiasm, but I remind them that, as with any new skill,  you have to start simple and build up to the more difficult ones as your skills improve. Accuracy is crucial when working in miniature as there is no "fudge factor" so choosing  a simple design for a first miniature is a good idea. I would far rather see students happy and successful with a first Mini than choose something too complex and give up, discouraged. So this one will go in the "here's a good choice for your first effort" pile.
I think my next miniature will be slightly more of a challenge. I'm going to try one all in silks.... we'll see how that goes...

Peace,
Linda

"If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way." ~ Napoleon Hill

10 comments:

Linda said...

Just the cutest! Love it! Those buttons are so sweet.

Farm Gate Creations Incorporating Hummingbird Quilting said...

It is so delightful, I love the colours that you have chosen...and good luck with the silk, now that will be a challenge.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's like a breath of Spring! love the tiny buttons...the perfect touch! Very nice my friend!

Sheila said...

Just adorable Linda , love those tiny buttons too !

Country Gal said...

Very pretty and soo cute ! Great job ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

Pamela Gordon said...

This is adorable, Linda. Not only cute but very pretty. I love the sweet buttons and embroidered green vine. Just sweet! Have fun working with the silk. I expect it will be tricky? Are you ready for the weather warm up on Friday??

Jeanna said...

A very simple center made absolutely amazing by the embroidery...great job. This is a treasure for sure Linda.

I agree with you regarding the statement about buttons. That is the only thing holding me back from a bag that I desperately want to make. We just do not have a great selection readily available in our area.

Hope you are doing well...spring is on it's way :)

Kim Stevens said...

That's adorable, and those sweet little buttons, but oh my, how do you work so small!

Shroo said...

I'm astounded by your patience and skill! This is G*O*R*G*E*O*U*S! I am LOVING that blue...and the buttons are adorable! Completely captivating - thank you for sharing! Hugs from Shroo:)x

Kathy said...

It is adorable. Obviously your eyesight and fine motor skills are in tact! Very nice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...