STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Water, water, everywhere...

It's another rainy, cool, windy, dull, dreary, soggy day here. Can you tell I'm not impressed? Enough already! We've had ENOUGH rain for a while. Quite a while! Day after day of rain... yuch. The ground is saturated. Yes things are growing, and all is green and lush. But some sunshine sure would be nice. We did have some sun on Monday and I spent all afternoon working outside, spreading compost as a top-dressing on all the beds, and moving a few perennials. I guess I could look at the rain as a positive, that it is
"washing in" all those good nutrients from the compost. Everything in my vegetable garden is up and growing, but the seeds I have started in pots and planters are awful slow- they really need some warmth and sunshine...  I do too!!

Today I'm sharing some photos I've taken over the last few days, a few in sunshine, most in or after the rain. I mentioned before how I love seeing the water droplets perching on the leaves of the Lady's Mantle and the hosta... It has taken me some time, as with most gardeners I think, to "appreciate foliage" as much as blossoms and color. When I first started buying/acquiring plants, my sole concern was the
blooms and their color. Now I also pay attention to the foliage- the shapes of the leaves and their color. I love the leaves on the Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla)- they remind me of fancy pie crust with their fluted edges!! Did you know that Alchemilla comes from the word alchemy because when used as an herb, these plants are believed to bring about miraculous cures. In Arab countries for example, a tea made from the leaves is reputed to restore youth and beauty. Hmmm, maybe I should make a pot of Alchemilla tea.... No, I think I'll just enjoy it in the garden. Especially when covered in water
droplets...










Of course, when it comes to appreciating green, and leaves, you can't beat the hostas. I have a number of them, across the front (north) and
west end of the house. Some have been there for 20 years now, I think, so they have grown quite 
large (even though I have chopped off pieces through the years). I get many comments from neighbours or just folks strolling by, about how big they are and WHAT do I feed them??? Well the answer is surprising to some. I don't really "feed " them at all, they get no fertilizer or special treatment. I just started them in really good rich soil, and I add a few shovelfulls of compost around them (not even every year) in the spring. Other than that - no secrets - I think they just really like their location (mostly shade). And I guess they like me! hahaha (sorry- couldn't resist!) Can't you see the love in this heart-shaped leaf?
After another week or two, when they reach their full size for this season, I'll take some photos of the whole hosta bed. My newest one, which I purchased at least 5 years ago as a very small plant, is really "coming into its own" this year I think. It is called Tyrranosaurus Rex, and I think this year the leaves ARE going to be HUGE.. We'll see...
Well, that's likely enough water droplets and green for today. The forecast is saying we have some sunshine coming for the next few days.. I sure hope it's correct...

Peace,
Linda

"Weather is a great metaphor for life - sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, and there's nothing much you can do about it but carry an umbrella." ~ Terri Guillemets


5 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

Gorgeous photos Linda! I love seeing water droplets on Lady's Mantle and hosta. I wonder if we'll ever get a hot dry stretch of weather this summer?? The 'long range forecast' says we will have a mixed summer with warmer temperatures. Hmmm. I guess we'll have to wait until June 21, the first day of summer, to find out!

Jeanna said...

Beautiful. Your photography is amazing!

Wendy said...

Lovely photos Linda! Looks like we have missed out on a very wet Spring. Sure is hot here in Spain...36C. Today.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Isn't lady's mantle the best for photographing water droplets? Very pretty, and the hosta too.
We had sunshine all day today, but calling for more rain tonight.
Some places are sweltering in the heat while we still await some decent weather.
Judith

GailM. said...

Love those green leaves with the perfect little raindrops. Isn't nature beautiful close up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...