STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Lovin' the Green!

Well shame on me! It's been a whole week since I posted. Sometimes life just gets busy... Lots going on here, just not much that's blog-worthy...

 I have finished a new small piece. Nothing too exciting but it is green for St. Paddy's Day! I taught a Miniatures class several weeks ago, and that always gets me revved up for doing a new miniature. I have done this pattern before (in blues) but just wanted to play with some greens. Not sure if it was the upcoming St. Patrick's Day or just the deep down desire to see spring green instead of winter white... Regardless, I had fun going through my green stash, and I used up some of the many little neutral triangles I have left from the red quilt.

 This design is called Spool and Bobbin and I made the blocks a bit larger than last time. The small square is 3/4" instead of 1/2", yielding a 3" block rather than the 2" I did previously. I much  prefer the smaller block, but when teaching the Miniatures class, I find it's better to have some "larger" miniatures for samples as I try to encourage students to start larger and work down in size. Of course most want to start with the smallest units possible but unless they are very precise and consistent in their piecing, it can be a frustrating experience for them. Being "off" by 1/8" is huge when you are working in miniature...The overall finished size of this piece is just under 15" square.

 So although I prefer the smaller blue one, here is my green Spool and Bobbin mini. I guess I should come up with a better name.. perhaps Forty Shades of Green, in honour of St. Paddy's Day... I try to keep the quilting very simple on a miniature as it can easily distort the small pieces. I often just quilt "in the ditch", but this time decided to just do some simple straight lines on the diagonal,with a beautiful green variegated thread by Superior Threads. It is King Tut color 923, Fahl green, which is a sage, bright green and blue-green combo. How do you like the funky stripe I used for the binding? I thought it would punch it up a notch or two.


And here's one benefit of having a "square tile" type flooring in your sewing space- it's real easy to tell whether your block or quilt is straight and square with one quick glance....  lol

Today is National Quilting Day! I hope you will find a little time today to sew or quilt, or do something quilting/sewing related.. buy some new fabric, or a quilting book or magazine, plan a new project, finish up a UFO.... whatever makes you happy!





Piece!
Linda

May you always be blessed with walls for the wind,
A roof for the rain, a warm cup of tea by the fire,
Laughter to cheer you, those you love near you,
And all that your heart might desire.
~Irish Blessing

1 comment:

Pamela Gordon said...

What a cute little square! So many tiny pieces in a 12 x 12 inch space!! And I love your new header Linda! Nice and springy. Happy St. Patty's Day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...