STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Happy Day - Sunshine!!

It's time to tell you about another good book! Under The Hawthorn Tree by Ai Mi is a poignant love story. "Jingqui, an innocent young woman from a poor and politically questionable family in the city, is selected as one of a small group of students to be sent to the countryside to work on a  glorious new education project that will further the Cultural Revolution. Clever, curious and eager, she wants to fit in with her hosts and the rural way of life, and it isn't appropriate for her to fall in love. But she does, with the son of a mighty army general. This beautiful simple story of love against the odds will break your heart." ~ from the book jacket.
This book has seen huge success in China, where it has sold millions of copies and has been read by many more as the author has made it available free on her website! Media attention intensified with the release of the film version. What we have here in North America to read is a translation, by Anna Holmwood. I must say, as I was reading (and thoroughly enjoying) the book, there was the occasional phrase which was very "Americanized" and I doubt was used in the original script. But I did enjoy the story and gaining a bit more knowledge on what China was like under Mao. It is interesting to see how the national political struggles of the time affected Chinese society. I do enjoy novels about other cultures and this was an easy and relatively quick read. Not in my "Top 10 of all time", but enjoyable nonetheless. Next on my reading list is Mudbound by Hillary Jordan.
Today is my birthday! Yep, one more trip around the sun complete! I don't like the thoughts of getting older, but I'm not complaining. It's better than the alternative! Too many are denied that chance. So I am enjoying the sunshine today, the blue skies, the slightly above zero temps and all the wonderful cards and phone calls I've had from good friends - I think I was on the phone the entire morning!!  Thanks everyone for the good wishes! Hubby is taking me out to dinner at one of our fav spots, and then we're off to see Little Shop of Horrors at the Playhouse this evening. Should be a great show.

Peace,
Linda

"You have exactly ONE LIFE in which to do everything you'll ever do. Act accordingly."
~ Colin Wright

5 comments:

Dolores said...

Dinner and the theatre. What a lovely combination. Have fun and a very Happy Birthday to you.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Linda
Happy Birthday, enjoy the theatre.
Judith

Betty said...

hi Linda

I read Mudbound about a year ago I think you are going to really like it '

Betty

Lindah said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you had a great celebration.
--from another Linda H

Wendy said...

Happy Birthday Linda. Sounds like a great book. Love your new springy blog header! Enjoy the show and the rest of your birthday celebration!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...