STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, June 22, 2012

So many books, so little time....

Have you read any good books lately?  I've been on a bit of a reading streak... (I seem to go in fits and starts.) Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls is another "true life novel" based on her family. A story of poverty and determination, she tells of her grandmother's life of struggles and tragedies, luck and resourcefulness. Walls has a way of drawing you in so that you feel you are right there, experiencing the flood, suffering through the drought, or whatever. Life in rural Arizona during the Great Depression was not easy and the main character, Lily, struggled to eke out a living by doing whatever was necessary to help her dysfunctional family survive. If you liked  The Glass Castle, you'll love Half Broke Horses.

Another book I finished recently was The Virgin Cure by Canadian author Ami McKay. I loved The Birth House by McKay - it was a phenomenal success, and no doubt The Virgin Cure will surpass it. I was hooked from the opening sentence: "I am Moth, a girl from the lowest part of Chrystie Street, born to a slum-house mystic and the man who broke her heart." Set in the late 1800's in the tenements of lower Manhattan, the story quickly draws you in to the time period when times were hard and children had to quickly learn to be street-smart to survive. At age 12, Moth is sold by her mother to a  woman of means who requires a servant. This sets in motion a chain of events in this young girl's life that are almost shocking to read. Without giving away too much of the story (you really must read it yourself!!) Moth tries to "make her way" on the streets which are filled with thieves, pick-pockets, and prostitutes after escaping the cruelty of Mrs. Wentworth. She is eventually taken in by Miss Everett who runs a brothel which caters to gentlemen who pay well for companions who are "willing and clean", particularly young virgins...
McKay's characterizations are richly detailed. I became so engrossed in Moth and Dr. Sadie, both strong female "leads" in the story. The setting also plays a major role - McKay's vivid descriptions made it so engrossing; her historical research, particularly into her great-great grandmother's life as a female physician in New York City has enriched her  writing. The inclusion of historical sidenotes and newspaper articles added a great deal as well. If I was rating this book, I would give it 6 stars out of 5.  You MUST read The Virgin Cure - it's as simple as that!!
I'm nearly finished reading Still Alice by Lisa Genova, but that will wait for another day...

Peace,
Linda

"In books lies the soul of the whole past time."
 ~ Carlyle

6 comments:

Dolores said...

Half Broke Horses is one I want to read and I listened to Still Alice as I was stitching away last year. Want some Canadian content? Factory Voice by Jeanette Lynes.

Pamela Gordon said...

I have heard of the book Still Alice but forget what it's about. I have just started reading Riel Nason's book "The Village that Drowned" which is about the flooding of the St. John River when the Mactaquac Dam was put in. She is a local writer. I tend to read more in the winter so it may take a while to get through this one. :)

Wendy said...

I loved Half Broke Horses and hated to have it end. She was quite a resilient lady.

Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori E said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I hope to finish the book I am reading now and the one I bought to read after it sometime this year, lol. Then I will seek these out.
Obviously I have not been reading enough lately.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...