STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Quilt Canada Part 6. The End!


The Mariners Quilt Guild Show, "Home Grown * Sew Proud" will be the last one I'll share photos from. I suspect you might be getting a wee bit tired of Quilt Canada by now, but I do like to show quilts from this great conference so that those who could not attend can see what they missed.



The Mariners Guild is a relatively new Guild and I feel they put on a fabulous show. Obviously they are not lacking in talented members... I did not catch the name of every quilt, but I did at least get the quilter's names... Some of the first quilts you saw upon entering the room were several by Christina Belding. She is obviously a lady with a great sense of humour... don't you just love quilts with humour?? I believe she called this one (at right) Quilt Diva Self Portrait. Close by was Fabric Addict Self Portrait. At this point, I am thinking, Okay, I like this gal... we have a lot in common.. haha  We quilters are all alike- we feed our addiction with fabric - we love to stroke our fabric, hug our fabric, stash our fabric.. okay you get the idea....



 Further down the line, I came upon Mermaiden (below) and yep - you guessed it - it was by Christina Belding too!  Something about those Kaffe Fassett fabrics and all the colour...... I just knew this had to be one of her quilts as well.... The artist statement mentioned that she has done some scuba-diving and is fascinated by all the vibrant colours, unique shapes and amazing sea creatures she finds in the ocean. I have to say, I think Christina would be a fun friend to have.... (And wouldn't she be a blast to borrow fabric from???  lol )






















 This Guild had done a President's Challenge, and some of the entries were on display. I'm not sure
what the criteria were for the Challenge, other than it had to have something to do with Nova Scotia obviously, and each piece did include a piece of that beautiful blue Nova Scotia tartan. I'm guessing that the theme was to do with welcoming visitors to Nova Scotia as three of these quilts proclaim "Cead Mile Failte" which is Gaelic for "A Hundred Thousand Welcomes", and the fourth repeats the word "Welcome" all around the border...
My apologies for not having the names of each quilt. Here are the four winners:
 1st place was won by Jacqueline Adams (at left). I'm not certain, but this looks like the Bluenose II to me, in dock at Historic Properties in Halifax. (The world famous schooner Bluenose II is currently nearing completion of a major rebuild at the Lunenburg Shipyard, site of the construction of the original Bluenose in 1921. I don't know when she'll be launched, but a sail on her is on my bucket list.... )



2nd place winner was Jean Dyer Goulden with her depiction of the World Heritage Site, Old Town Lunenburg. If you have never visited Lunenburg, you must put it on your list of places to visit in Nova Scotia. You won't be sorry. You can read about my last visit there by clicking here. I can't wait to return, hopefully in early July....










 3rd place ribbons went to two winners - Paulette Daoust (at left) and Heather Brown (below right).  Congrats to all Challenge winners and entrants on a job well done...








































To wrap it up, here are a few other quilts from the Mariner's Guild Show. This Bargello by Heather Brown was called Waves of Colour. What a beautiful design!! This would look so great on MY bed....


















Although I did not note the info on this one, I am quite certain it is The Big Bang by Noreen Quilliam. (If anyone can confirm or correct me, please let me know. )

So that completes my "review" of the Shows at Quilt Canada. I hope you have enjoyed my photos and info... It is so inspiring to see so many incredible works in a few short days, One comes home "overloaded" with ideas, inspiration and enthusiasm..... I get frustrated when I overhear comments  from show attendees like "I could never do that" or "My work is so inadequate in comparison" or even "I just feel like giving up". I try to encourage people to remember that we ALL start as beginners and progress with our work at our own rate. Yes we won't all reach this level of  expertise, but we can all take something away from these shows - whether it be one simple idea for a new border treatment, or a color combination we might not have thought of, or a new technique to try- all are useful. Be inspired by these works to try something new, something daring, something fun! Challenge yourself to move along on your quilting journey.....
Thank you, CQA for another great "Quilt Canada" and a HUGE Thanks to the LOC - Local Organizing Committee - for a job WELL DONE!!!

Piece,
Linda

"Try to be inspired by something every day. Try to inspire at least one person every day." ~ Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

2 comments:

Karen said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed your Quilt Canada posts Linda, and thank you for taking the time to do them. On my trip to Q.C., I missed several of the shows you've shared and seeing them here has been just wonderful!

Jackie said...

The best was meeting you! But I did meet the Christina you mentioned and she is awesome. Early 40's.. and a really neat girl.. She took my business card, so I hope she gets in touch with me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...