STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A few more favourites...


As promised here are a few more of my favourites from Maine Quilts 2009 held last week in Augusta. It is often difficult to get a good photo, taken straight on, at a Quilt Show. You no doubt noticed in the previous post's shots that I cut off the edges- that quilt had a lovely scalloped edge but I just could not get it all in. If you go here you will see the entire quilt, edge to edge. This next one titled "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" was also one of my most favourites. As you can see I could not get a straight on shot of it, so sorry for the slight angled view.. This quilt was 83" square and appeared a more "contemporary" version of the traditional Lone Star design. Over 700 Swarovski crystals gave this quilt some serious "sparkle". It too was beautiful with exquisite machine quilting (done on a long arm). It was made by Janet-Lee Santeusanio of Hampton Falls NH. I think this gal has wonderful colour sense. If you click on the closeup , you can see some of the crystals.



Another beauty was this Storm at Sea, by Marilyn Prince of Houlton Maine. I had seen it before at the Houlton Guild's Show but who doesn't love another chance to see and admire a beautiful quilt? I love her colour choices, with the soft aqua as the background fabric. I have always loved the Storm at Sea design, and plan to do one myself one day, but I suspect it will be a Miniature rather than full size.


Perhaps mine might look like this Miniature, by Eleanor Dickens of Kennebunk, Maine. She made this with the leftover scraps after making a queen size Storm at Sea for a friend. It was hand-quilted. I loved the mixture of blues and greens; to me this quilt has lots of motion when you look at it. Don't get sea-sick!!

Applique by hand is NOT my thing, but I sure do admire those who do it well. This wall sized quilt (58" x 67") was done by Janet Gigee of Sayre PA. I love Jacobean designs and her fabric choices were wonderful. (Of course how can you go wrong with those gorgeous batiks???) Her hand-quilting was amazing. Such tiny even stitches! Just beautiful!






And lastly- to celebrate a HOT day in Freddy Beach- yes the SUN is SHINING - wohooo-and the temp. is 30 C in my backyard right now.... how's this for a hot looking quilt? This New York Beauty was wild! I don't often work with these colours, but this was great - bright to say the least!! I have always loved New York Beauty- it's another one that's on my "Want to Do Someday" list... Karen Stone who has done so many wild and wacky New York Beauties was one of the teachers at Maine Quilts 2009. We enjoyed her Trunk Show at noon on Friday. Perhaps I'll show you a few of her NY Beauties tomorrow. I'll bet she liked this one! Made by Louisa Enright of Camden Maine, it is 47" square and is called "Let There Be Light".
Until tomorrow...stay cool!
Piece,
Linda
"A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing and the lawnmower is broken".

2 comments:

GailM. said...

Lovely photos. I have always wanted to do a storm at sea in scrappy blues. What an inspiration this one is. I have a new found love for the NY beauty, but I think I like the Maritime Beauty by Karen Neary better. It's a smaller project!!! I'm about to do one in leftover batiks...

Anonymous said...

I love Janet Lee's Quilt as well, I actually had the pleasure of having it in my home last Summer and delivered it to the NWQE Show where she won her 1st ribbon with this beauty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...