STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Difficult Decisions...

I will no doubt be blogging infrequently the next little while - I have a huge job ahead as we finish emptying my parent's home and prepare to demolish it. What an emotional job this is... It would no doubt be a bit easier if this house was not right next door to our home. In one way it's easier because it's closeby so I can run over and work in short spurts when it suits my schedule, but the decision to tear it down has been heart-wrenching. It is the home my parents spent their entire married life in, and of course the home in which my brothers and I grew up. It now belongs to me. Because of it's age and deteriorating condition, I would have to put a pile of money into it to bring it up to current "code". After renting it for a few years, it was an easy decision to no longer wish to be a "landlord".... The fact that it is between our property and my older brother's eliminates the option of selling, so it will be torn down and the land added to our lot. Brian thinks we'll build a smaller "retirement home" there someday... I'm not so sure... we'll see.
Anyway, I've been battling the guilt and all the other emotions that accompany such a decision, but the time has come to just "get 'er done"... I've been ruthlessly getting rid of the last of the "stuff" that was left. Last night I spent 4 hours going through a few old photos and hundreds upon hundreds of slides - both my parents dabbled in photography for a while - they both struggled with using 35 mm. cameras. I did find many "keepers" but many more which were destined for "file 13" . I think when the dust settles, I'll put together a slide show for my family to view- too many good shots of days gone by, not to gather and have a few laughs and share the memories... Some of the styles... and hairstyles.... what WERE we thinking? For sure my kids will find it amusing!!

Anyway..thats why you'll likely be hearing from me less frequently for a bit. I just have to get this done, even though my heart is really not in it...
Piece,
Linda

Home is where friendships are formed and families are grown, where joy is shared and true love is known, where memories are made and seeds of life are sown....

1 comment:

Lee said...

Oh, Linda, been there, done that, my heart goes out to you! Best of luck.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...