STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, April 26, 2009

What a gorgeous day!! The sun is shining, the sky is blue and I have spring blooms in my garden.... I love both of these little blue flowers- these Chionodoxa are in my side perennial bed- they are usually the first to bloom and I think they are just so cheerful looking. The others (below) are in a small bed on my front lawn, surrounding a huge rock. They are known as Siberian Squill or Scilla. The bulbs are small, and over the years they have multiplied and filled in quite an area. Lucky for me the squirrels are leaving them alone - they must not taste very good! We have a lot of squirrels, and they love "re-arranging" my bulbs- each year it's a surprise to see what will pop up where. They've done quite a job on the crocuses this year- they are now where they've never been before...keeps things interesting, I guess...

The Saint John River reached flood level yesterday. On Friday when I drove to Sackville, I followed the "old river route" through Maugerville and Sheffield, and there were numerous places where the river was only a few inches below the level of the pavement. Farmer's fields were all under water.. I saw many Osprey, Eagles and ducks.... and sandbags!

Hopefully with sunny weather forecast for the next few days, the waters will recede quickly and it won't be as devastating as the 2008 flood... last year was the worst in a decade.

Well. it's time to get off the 'puter and out to do a little garden clean-up...
Piece,
Linda

"There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground, and swallows circling with their shimmering sound; and frogs in the pool singing at night, and wild plum trees in tremulous white. Robins will wear their feathery fire, whistling their whims on a low fence-wire; and not one will know of the war, not one Will care at last when it is done. Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree, if mankind perished utterly; and Spring herself when she woke at dawn would scarcely know that we were gone. " — Sara Teasdale






2 comments:

Marie Alton said...

Scilla ... I love these li'l guys! I never planted them but someone must have in the front bed at the co-op ... they hide in amongst my irises ... and they are always the first ones I see in the spring! Out back the hydro cut seems to have been randomly seeded with my sweet violets ... now there's more out there than I have in the garden! Think I'm gonna have to scoop some back ... before they come in to mow the field! Anxiously awaiting the blooming of the Forget-me-nots!

GailM. said...

Nice to see those little flowers peeking out. Don't you love Spring, I do. I drove down the river road today, and in about 5 places the water is on the road, but just a couple of feet. It's easy to steer around. The water level at Grand Lake is still rising. Cresting there is expected on Tuesday.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...