STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, April 10, 2009

Easter Bunny Tales...or is that Tails?

Every Easter I remember the excited squeals when Mark and Laura were hunting for Easter Eggs as children. I never have been one for gifts at Easter, but we did always hide several small packages of the Cadbury Mini Eggs for them to find on Easter morning. Each year the hiding places got progressively more difficult as the Bunny seeemd to "spread the loot" over a larger area in the house. The kids LOVED it; in fact the first year I didn't do it because I thought they were too old- I was met with great opposition.... I expect, now at 20 and 18, they would still like to do "The Hunt".... They just might not bounce out of bed quite so early to do it...
When Mark was around 6 or 7, he decided he wanted to catch the Easter Bunny in a trap. I tried to talk him out of it, reminding him of all the disappointed children who would not find eggs, if HE trapped the EB. He could not be disuaded.... So I let him go to it. He set up his "trap" in the hall right outside his bedroom door.. his laundry basket propped up, with a large carrot inside. He was sure the Bunny would be caught when he hopped inside to retrieve the carrot. His disappointment with no "catch" was always short-lived, as he delighted in the trail of Mini Eggs from the trap throughout the house. He did this for several years in a row, each time with no success. Finally one year I figured he deserved a "reward" for his persistance: I rememebered that I had a small white rabbit skin (no idea where it came from). I cut several small tufts of fur from the skin and carefully placed them under the edge of the "tripped trap", removed the carrot, and did the usual egg trail.... He was SO excited that he almost caught the EB - here was the proof! That was the last year for the trap...."close" was good enough!
Look what's popping up in my garden - hope the EB doesn't decide to munch on these on his way by our house...

Peace,
Linda
Here comes Peter Cottontail.....

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...