STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Another Easy Salad

I'm sure I'm not the only one who often thinks what will I make for dinner? Something new and different than the usual fare.. something I can make with what I have on hand without a trip to the grocery store... I get tired of the "same old thing." I am very lucky to have a hubby who is not a fussy eater and he never complains about what is put in front of him at the dinner table. I am blessed that way. But every now and then I just want something different.
It seems I usually resort to some sort of a salad concoction on hot summer nights. So tonight I worked with what was in the fridge and came up with a pasta shrimp salad. I had a package of frozen cooked shrimp in the freezer and I like to use that sort of thing up quickly. So I cooked some penne and thawed the shrimp, chopped red pepper, celery, red onion, broccoli, shelled some fresh peas and tossed all the ingredients together. If I had had a can of pineapple chunks, or even some fresh pineapple, that would have been tossed in too. The dressing was a curried mayo- Miracle Whip flavored with lemon juice, soya sauce and curry powder. I didn't measure, but I would guess about 1/2 cup Miracle Whip, and 1 tsp. soya sauce, 1 tsp. lemon juice and several good dashes of curry powder. Do it to your own taste. I've always been a "taster" as I cook...
Top with some toasted almonds and serve up with some crusty rolls. Yummy, quick and easy. What's not to like?

Peace,
Linda

"Some people like to paint pictures, or do gardening, or build a boat in the basement. Other people get a tremendous pleasure out of the kitchen because cooking is just as creative and imaginative an activity as drawing, or wood carving, or music." ~ Julia Child


7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow, Linda - that looks good enough to eat! *grin*

Sheryl said...

You are right Linda, I too always seem to cook the same things but as you, no complaints from DH. I dislike cooking but your recipe sounds so quick and easy, perfect

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

This looks good to me. Terry IS a fussy eater, but mostly I make whatever I want to. If he doesn't want it, there is always something in the frig he'll eat. This salad looks great.
xx, Carol

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Hello, Linda! Pasta salads made with some tasty veggies are exactly what you wrote: yummy (very!), quick and easy. We don't often have mayonnaise in our kitchen, so I simply use olive oil for the dressing.
Good appetite! :)

kath001 said...

I wonder if I still have shrimp in the freezer? This is perfect for our supper tonight, as hubs won't get home till about 9:00 pm, and he loves curry flavor. Thanks!

HollyM said...

I make pasta salads very similar to it in the summer. Just last week I made it with spirals and shrimp and I did add pineapple. I used part Greek yogurt and sunflower seeds on top. It's a nice summer dish.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Looks delish Linda, pasta salads are a summer favourite and I go with what's in the fridge too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...