STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, November 28, 2014

Another Book Finish

As winter sets in, I find myself stock-piling books... some on loan from friends, some are new purchases... Do you do the same, or is it just me? Maybe it's the fear of a long power outage during a storm... one wouldn't want to be without a good book, now would one? lol  Perhaps I'm like the squirrels gathering nuts for the winter.... gotta have a good "store" in...
My latest "finish" is Astor Place Vintage by Stephanie Lehmann, loaned to me by my good friend Sandi Mac. It is the tale of two single young women living in New York City, a century apart. Amanda Rosenbloom owns and runs a vintage clothing shop in lower East Side Manhattan. When she finds a journal hidden in a piece of vintage clothing, she is fascinated as she begins to read the story of Olive Westcott who lived in the same neighbourhood in 1907. Olive was a young lady from a "respectable family" who due to unforeseen circumstances, finds herself alone in NYC at a time when women of her background did not work. Her ambition is to become a department store buyer, but it will not be easy. The story alternates back and forth between 2007 and 1907, chapter by chapter. Although their lives are very different, both women experience challenges financially, career-wise and in their personal relationships. As the story proceeds, there are more and more "parallels" between Olive and Amanda and it becomes increasingly difficult to put this book down...
It's no secret that I love New York City and I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about the city's history, and what it was like for a single young woman living there in the early 1900's.  Vintage photos of Manhattan are a bonus! If you have enjoyed Mr. Selfridge on Masterpiece Classic on PBS, you will love this book! A delightful read from beginning to end...

Peace,
Linda

"What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you." ~ Anne Lamott

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sounds like an interesting book.......I shall see if my library has it!

Mam said...

In our foyer is a large wicker basket with a lid. It is full of stockpiled books which I collect through the summer and fall, for reading on a cold winter's night.

sunny said...

Thanks for the book review. This will be going on my list to read.

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda, I have that book to read sometime this winter too. Have you read New York by Edward Rutherford? You probably have but just in case you didn't ,it's a great read if you love the city. Cynthia

Vee said...

Now that does sound intriguing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Linda. Just purchased the e-book. Like you, I love NYC! Jeanne Kaye

sunny said...

ps. I found a copy at the library today. Can't wait to get started.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

I love Mr Selfridge, and will certainly obtain this book, it looks great. Thanks.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I would love this book. I haven't been reading much lately. I've been stuck on one book for 2 weeks which is very unlike me! Hugs!

Lorraine said...

LOVE your book reviews - am currently reading the Baker's Daughter from your previous recommendations. Think I'll need to add this to my hit list :) Stay warm.

Anonymous said...

Linda, I just finished "Astor Place Vintage" and loved it! I enjoyed the format of chapter about with Olive and Amanda, and of course the setting of NYC was a winner with me. Thanks for a great suggestion. Jeanne Kaye

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...