STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Silver on PEI

It's been a busy few days. On Sunday I made a very quick trip to Prince Edward Island to watch my nephew's son Nathan play in the GOLD medal game at the Peewee AAA baseball Atlantic championship game!!! They won on Saturday to advance to the first place game!!!!! Way to go guys!!! We were so very proud of the team for doing so well.
To get to PEI from New Brunswick you drive over the awesome Confederation Bridge, a 12.9 kilometer (8 mile) bridge which spans the Northumberland Strait. It is the longest bridge in the world which spans ice-covered water. (Of course it's not ice covered at this time of year.) It took almost four years to construct, at a cost of a billion dollars, and employed crews of more than five thousand local workers. It opened in May of 1997. I still marvel at its design and construction every time I drive over it - it is truly one of Canada's top engineering feats of the 20th century.

Nathan's Mom and I stopped at The Lobster Barn in beautiful Victoria by the Sea for lunch- one MUST eat lobster while on PEI so we had lobster rolls for lunch. (We won't discuss dessert, ok?)  We both agreed this was a great spot to eat - we recommend it highly.
And the other thing one must consume while on "the Island" is an icecream cone at Cows. So of course, we did that too. So good....


Back to the team. They played a great game, leading for most of it, but sadly they lost by 5-4 in the final inning. So they settled for silver medals instead of gold, but that is nothing to be ashamed of. Second in Atlantic!! Pretty darned good I'd say! Way to go Nathan!! This was his first year of playing competitive ball... I'm sure he was tired when he got home after four days of games. And this week he has hockey try-outs. At least he doesn't have  a chance to get bored....
Yesterday I made another batch of jam, and I have a large batch of crock pickles underway. I've been busy picking, stewing and freezing tomatoes too. The garden is winding down and I'm busy harvesting and preserving what I can. I spent today doing all those fun things like laundry, ironing, scrubbing bathrooms, etc. and then Choir started tonight. Tomorrow we're off on a little day trip. Thursday is supposed to be rainy and I plan on spending the entire day in my studio. Can't wait.... No rest for the weary! Tomorrow, I'll give you the Greek salad recipe.

Peace,
Linda

"Nothing can subtract hard work from success, only add to it." ~Manjunath Harlapur

3 comments:

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I hope to cross the Confederation bridge again some day, we loved PEI when there a few years ago. It's a bit more than a quick trip from Ontario unfortunately.
We had your green bean recipe for dinner last night and it was delicious, thanks for sharing it in a post.

Pamela Gordon said...

Congrats on the silver medal for the AAA team. Great job on their part and so close to the gold. My nephew worked on the bridge back then. One of his first jobs I think. You sound really busy Linda. I guess that's good though. Wouldn't you know I have a hair appointment and lots of errands to run tomorrow in the rain. I should have done the errands today and had that part done with. Oh well. It's been great stretch of weather.

Jeanna said...

Congratulations to the team.

You certainly have been busy but with all good things. Sounds like you've had a lucrative harvest from the garden....everything sounds good. Enjoy your day trip and I look forward to seeing what comes out of the studio.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...