STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Thanglin' along....

It's high time I got back to sewing. My machine has been feelin' neglected, I'm sure. Now that the dreary grey shorter days of November are here, I'm settling in to my studio and the pile of projects awaiting me there.  I have three more classes to teach this month and several projects I want to make some progress on... Today I'll show you the one I have been slowly chipping away at...
You may remember that last May I was lucky enough to take a class with renowned quilter Bonnie Hunter. She calls the quilt "Jamestown Landing" and the directions are in her book String Fling. I knew at the time that the project would be set aside for a while, and even now, I have other more pressing things to get to, but I have been chipping away at "components" for this quilt. It requires 840 half square triangles, and you know me - I love using Thangles. So I've been "Thangling".. lol   I think I have about 310 made- so only 530 more to go!! It's pretty mindless sewing, doesn't require extreme concentration so it's great when you've got lots going on and you can just take a break for short periods of time here and there, sit down and do some straightforward sewing. I usually chain 5 pairs of strips together at a time,  which yields 30 hst's.

Next the hst's are sewn together in pairs,

then two of these are joined to make the "Broken Dishes" unit. I need 210 BD units. Yes. I have a long. way. to. go.

I have about 40 Broken Dishes units made - so only 170 more to go..... sigh....

In my next "Jamestown Landing post", I'll show you the stars that are formed with these units. But I want to make lots more hst's first, as I want a good mix of fabrics before I start putting stars together, so it might be a while before you see more progress on this particular project. I do have several other smaller projects I'll be sharing first... Stay tuned. Are you sewing today?

Peace,
Linda

“Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.”  ~ Winston Churchill

9 comments:

Wendy said...

This is going to be so pretty...love the little splashes of yellow thrown in with the blue! I have never used Thangles...I must give them a try.

Jeanna said...

This is going to be a nice quilt, I can tell just from the fabric :)

I've never paper pieced but I hear that it keeps things accurate and consistent. I've noticed paper piecing in a few blogs recently...is that a hint?

Country Gal said...

Looks pretty, I bet it will be wonderful when all done ! I am not a crafty person , Photography is my craft all though I do enjoy others wonderful handy works ! Sunny but windy and cold here today ! Thanks for sharing ! Have a good day !

Linda said...

I have never tried Thangles before but I bet I would love them. I can just tell how yummy your quilt will be...all those amazing blues.

Anonymous said...

Never tried Thangles - maybe i will give it a try. Can't wait to see the finished quilt (whenever). Always good to have those projects that don't require too much thinking of us. Fabrics are nice. Lucy

Pamela Gordon said...

I see you are using your favourite colour for this quilt. It will be beautiful I'm sure. No sewing going on here, as you know. lol

Lee said...

Look at you showing off those perfect matches! Did you pick the best one or do Thangles result in these perfect matches? You've shown me them but I've never used them.

Gwen Buchanan said...

My Dear, your stitching is perfection!

My Maine Blog said...

You are so amazingly talented Linda and I love the fabric you are working with and I wish I could sew like you. Every time I drive by one of our local quilt shops I just want to go in and buy another one...I probably have at least a half dozen quilts for the beds, the couch and even a a quilt square to hang on the wall...love them all but cannot sew worth a darn. There's just something about curling up on the couch, a pretty quilt to cover you up, a hot cup of tea and a good book to read especially on a day like today, cold and drizzly typical November day. You truly amaze me with your talent. Hugs Kathy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...