STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What's Going On?

I'm sure you've been wondering just that.. what's going on? Where is she? Why isn't she blogging? Well, I was away for two days last week, and since then, I've had a little problem. I had a fall last Friday night, and it seems I have a tear in the rotator cuff of my right shoulder. Hence some pain, poor sleep at nights and loss of mobility/range of motion in my right arm. It has certainly put a cramp in my "December productivity". Color me frustrated!!! This is not a good time of year to be "somewhat disabled"!! I have too long a list of things to be done to put up with this foolishness! But put up I must. It can take weeks or even months to heal so I'm trying to be good (okay, better than just "good"). I don't want this to drag on any longer than absolutely necessary...
We went downtown to the Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony at the Legislative Buildings. It was cold and I had worn shoes (instead of boots- mistake #1). My feet were very cold - bordering on numb. When we left, I "missed" a small curb, turned my ankle and down I went, full force on my right arm and shoulder, crashing to the pavement. How embarassing.  My upper arm has been going through the loveliest
shades of black, purple and now that beautiful "bruise green"... lol  I had thought of taking a photo of my arm, but I wouldn't want to scare you! It looks like someone beat me with a crowbar! So instead I found a few photos from our visit to Jolly Farmer two  weeks ago - enjoy the Christmas blooms - they are much more attractive! By far!
Yes I am frustrated. My red quilt is waiting. All 20 blocks are done, it's up on the design wall and lookin' good. But I can't go any further until I cut some more sashing strips. And I can't do any rotary cutting, it hurts too much. I can't sew on something else as I can't lift my right
arm. I can't do any baking. I can't even "do" my hair!! Arrrggghhhhhhh!!!!! I still have shopping to do..
I have done some cross-stitching, as that IS manageable, sitting on the couch and keeping my right arm against my body. I finished a small piece today and took it to my framer (hat covering head.. lol)  I promise a pic when I get it back.
So no doubt there will be some things this Christmas that just don't get done. No worries, everyone will understand, I hope. Dear daughter will be home in a few more days, so she'll be put to work helping out. I do have a good part of the decorating done... Cards and letters are next. The keyboard is easier now than it was a few days ago.... I pray each night for patience.... I AM very grateful it was not worse- I could have broken bones...
Stay tuned, and be patient with me... Gotta go "ice" my shoulder before bed...

Peace,
Linda

"The truth is you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. Life is a crazy ride, and nothing is guaranteed." Eminem

11 comments:

Wendy said...

Life is indeed a "crazy ride" some days. Sorry to hear of your misstep and rough landing. Hope you heal fast and well. One thing about Christmas..it comes whether you are ready or not and will return again next year with another shot at "getting it right". Take advantage of your down time and do the quiet, relaxing things you never take time to do this time of the year. Stitch a little, sip your tea and read a good book...

Darlene D said...

Sounds like you've bad a rough few days and more to follow! Christmas will come anyway and I'm sure it will be lovely! Enjoy your rest!

Kathy said...

I can commiserate Linda , I tore my RC a few years ago and...lets say I am ok now! Do as Physio says and be good, tis that time of year!!

Karen said...

Will try this again without typos :) So sorry to hear about your nasty fall. (Good thing you and Gail got those fruitcakes made!) I'm sure this is frustrating as you are always so busy. Hope Santa packs a couple of extra books in his sack for you.

Quilting Queen said...

Doh!!! poor baby...at such a busy time. Take care of yourself...let it heal. Christmas will arrive whether you have 100 bonbons or only one. With it comes my good wishes.

MissesStitches said...

So sorry to hear this, Linda. Just take care of it till you get better. I know how frustrating it can be. (broken wrist a few years ago!)

Anonymous said...

Soooo sorry to read of this mishap, Linda. I have limited time, but perhaps I could help somehow, even if it is just dropping off a good book :-)

Jeanne Kaye

Sue said...

oh Linda, I am sorry to hear that you are injured... and shoulders are very very painful. You will just have to sit back and let others "do" for you and what does not get done, does not get done... but I do feel for you.

Merry Christmas anyway....

sue
KVQG

GailM. said...

Take care. If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know...

Pamela Gordon said...

Oh my goodness Linda. I missed this post and have been wondering where you were! I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder and know exactly what you're going through. I hate to say this but I have the same problem in my left shoulder and it's been there for 2 years! Sleepless nights, unable to do things like gardening, raking, vacuuming, shovelling etc. I've been to physiotherapy, the surgeon etc. Nothing worked. Even driving the car aggravates it. So, do what your doctor says. Keep up the physiotherapy for as long as you can. Rest your arm. (you must be right handed which is worse!) Ice it. Do the exercises. Wear boots as walking on ice keeps one tense even in the shoulders. I know! And don't overdo it. Hard I know, at Christmas and with all your quilting that you enjoy. Even the computer stresses mine. I hope your concert goes well on Sunday. Our choir is at The Playhouse with The Lapointes tonight and Sunday night is our church music night. And my shoulder is aching. All the time. :( I do hope your shoulder will be better sooner than mine. It's not fun. Blessings. Pam PS your poinsettia pictures are gorgeous. :)

Sandra said...

Know what you're going through. My DH tore his 6 months ago and he's still undergoing physio twice a week. Follow doctor's orders! and do the exercises as directed by your therapist. Take time for yourself and get that shoulder back to health soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...