STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Quilt Canada 2010 Part 1

I'm baaaaackkkk.... What can I say- Quilt Canada 2010 was awesome! The shows were amazing, the merchants mall was large and well attended, the Organizers did a great job... everything was wonderful except the weather! (Of course, we have no control over that, but the snowstorm we had on Thursday was just a bit much! 8" of wet snow, very strong cold winds and hail/rain.. I was SO glad I took my sandals... haha).

I know you are anxious to see photos from the many Quilt Shows that were held in conjunction with this Conference. There were 13 shows in all- the three that always accompany the annual Conference- the NJS (National Juried Show), the Trend Tex Challenge, and the Invitational Show, plus 10 others put on by "local" guilds and groups. No photography is allowed in the NJS. Photos of the winners will be posted on the CQA/ACC website and when I see that they are there, I'll post a link so you can view them. Those of you who are CQA/ACC members will of course receive the NJS catalogue with your Autumn CQA newsletter. Not being allowed to take photos of the NJS was most frustrating for me, because this Show is the creme de la creme, and let me tell you, there were some amazing pieces of work - some real showstopppers. It was nice to see a lot of new names and a number of first time entrants. Every entry was exceptional and I would not have wanted the job of judging.
What I am showing you here are some of my favourites from the Invitational Show. This show is by invitation to the Conference teachers, jurors, judges, the CQA Board of Directors, the Local Organizing Committee, CQA Regional Reps, and Canadian Quilter newsletter volunteers. Because there are no guidelines other than a maximum size, there was a wide range of work - large, small, traditional, contemporary, and abstract - shown in this inspiring collection. At the top on the right you see Karen Henry's Golden Tree on Halifax Harbour. I had seen this quilt before, but what a treat to see it again. The colours are wonderful and I love her pieced background, done with the woven technique that she teaches.

Above is Esmerelda Meets Her Knight in Shining Armour by Heather Stewart. I love quilts with humour and the expression on Esmerelda's face just made me smile. Heather's quilting, especially of Esmerelda's scales was wonderful.

The third photo is Expression of Morris by Katie Frieson. Katie was teaching applique classes and if this quilt is an indication, I'm sure her students must have been thrilled with their classes. I don't think you can see her hand-quilting in the closer shot but I think they are the tiniest and most even hand stitches I have ever seen... Click on the photos for a larger view...
This was Katie's first time teaching at a CQA Conference, in fact her very first time at a Quilt Canada. I'm sure we'll see her again in the future...








Renske Helmuth's Longevity was one of my absolute favourites. I love her Sashiko work and her applique is among the best! The cranes were so perfect - her curves were smooth and the applique stitches invisible. The sashiko stitches were perfectly even. And look at her hand quilting!! Wow!!



I have to say I've never been terribly crazy about black and white quilts, but Ana Buzzalino's On the Wings of a Dream was a beauty! The hot pink made it sing! It was stunning! It has won a number of prizes in previous shows in the USA.... no wonder!
That's all for now. I'll post more photos from another Show in another day or two... I'm off to Moncton tomorrow and back on Thursday, check back then....
Piece,
Linda
"We would accomplish so much more if we thought of the infinite possibilities."
~ Linda LaTourelle

3 comments:

GailM. said...

I'm glad you're back. I know what you mean about taking pictures at the NJS. Sometimes you just want to show the detail and those catalogues don't show much. I love the black and white quilt too. Just that touch of color adds so much.

Kathy said...

Hi Linda,
Thanks so much for "taking me along to Quilt Canada". For those of us who could not attend you did a great job of giving us a flavour for the event. Much appreciated.
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Thanks Linda for the peak at Quilt Canada. I will have to plan for Halifax. Linda G

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...