STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, September 7, 2009

There and back...and there again...

We're home again after a busy weekend of getting both our kidlets settled in their new "homes". Mark is moved into his apartment which he will share with four other young men. I must say.. it "took me back to my youth"... such memories of student apartment living.. I had prepared myself by not getting my hopes too high, which turned out to be wise... Don't get me wrong - it could have been MUCH worse!! It wasn't actually too bad, and the summer sub-lettors left it much cleaner than they found it in April, thankfully. After a thorough scrubbing of his bathroom (they EACH have their own bathroom!) and around his bedroom window, which was pretty scuzzy, we felt that at least HIS area was habitable. I know their housekeeping standards will be "a bit" lower than mine, I accept that. And I have promised myself that I will NOT do any major cleaning or "interfering " any time I visit. I also don't think I'll ever spend a night there... unless I'm really desperate! lol Ah, to be young again.. it's all a wonderful adventure to them.. and they'll have lots of fun together, for sure... I'm sure they'll all learn a lot this year, and not just in the classroom... Last night - the first phonecall : "Mum, do you know HOW MUCH my groceries COST me today?" I just chuckled to myself...


Saturday was move-in to Res day for Miss Laura Frosh... Again, it took me right back to my move-in day as a Frosh. Music was blaring out across the Quad as families scurried to and fro with luggage, laptops and laundry baskets. The music was great- obviously chosen with the parents in mind- it was Beatles, Elton John, Michael Jackson... We arrived early enough to be first in line for Registration. We whipped through, picking up her room key, Frosh pac, Academic gown, Student ID card and so on. By the time we got back to her room, Dad had the car unloaded and everything was in her room. By noon, all was organized and put away. She even had a few pics up on the wall! After a BBQ lunch for all in the Quad , and info sessions for Frosh and parents, we said our goodbyes. I was proud of myself- I held it together and didn't shed a tear. I think knowing that Laura is very ready for University, and to be away from home, helps alot. She is mature and has a good head on her shoulders, and is happy with her decision to be where she is. I know she's going to make lots of great new friends and have lots of fun. I'm going to miss her terribly, but I'm also very happy for her.

We travelled home yesterday; Ollie was so glad to see us. He clearly does NOT like to be left behind! Today I tried to catch up on laundry, groceries, and some tidying...because.... guess what I'm doing tomorrow? I'm driving back to Halifax! I have to take a cousin down for a cataract surgery on Wednesday. If all goes well, we'll be back Thursday. And... I found out this afternoon, that the house demolition is scheduled for Wednesday. So I won't be here for it- maybe that's a good thing... What a week- losing my two babies (!!) and my childhood home all within a few days... So - no stitching to show you for a few more days... Some days I feel like a rat on a wheel... when will it stop???

Piece,
Linda
"There are only two lasting bequests we can leave our children: one is roots, the other, wings."
~ H. Carter

1 comment:

GailM. said...

Snif, Snif... I could almost cry for you, seeing both your babies gone. I love the picture of Laura out the window. She's such a cutie pie.

I agree about the groceries. Student or not, groceries are expensive. But it must have been a bit of a shock to him having not had much experience buying food before. I'm sure, he'll have a better appreciation for all the soup and stuff you made for him. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...