STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Seasonal Secret

I've been working hard these last few days on a fun little "seasonal" project. But it's a gift so I cannot show you any photos until the gift is received... so you're going to have to wait a few days.... It's all done now except the binding, which I will finish today so I can take it to Show and Tell at Guild tonight.
Ollie has been keeping me company in my studio while I have been sewing. He is such a great helper, keeping my fabrics warm, and in place lest they try to run away... His favourite spot is on my ironing board. I guess he likes to be up high so he can watch me sew!! Of course he takes the odd catnap too...
Don't peek Ollie... it's a secret!

For those of you who like draws and giveaways, check this out. Ginger at Bearbits is having a wonderful giveaway and it's open for entries until the end of October. I think her bears are delightful, but then, I'm an old softie when it comes to bears anyway... I'm sure my bears would love to have a new playmate... On second thought, maybe you should NOT go there after all... you'll be so disappointed when I win... lol

Thought I would share one of my favourite "fall" recipes with you today. I just made this a few days ago when friends came to lunch, and it's sooo good. Of course you can make it any time of year, but to me, Gingerbread is a "fall thing". This is without a doubt the best gingerbread recipe I have ever found. It originally came from a Mennonite cookbook by Edna Staebler, a well known cook in the Kitchener Waterloo area. This cake is so moist, and the orange juice gives it a lovely flavour.

The BEST Gingerbread.

1 cup margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup molasses
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
grated zest of 1 orange
3 eggs, beaten
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
2 tsp. ginger

Sift dry ingredients together into a large mixing bowl, set aside. In saucepan, melt margarine, add sugar, molasses and orange juice and zest. Stir, over low-medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, let cool slightly. Then add beaten eggs, stirring well. Pour liquids into dry ingredients, mixing well. Pour into 9x13 pan, which has been lined with waxed paper. Bake at 325 F for about 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean and dry. Serve warm with whipped cream.

Piece
Linda

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible...

2 comments:

Laura Hubbard said...

Tell Ollie to stop being so lazy! I could give him an assignment or two to do for me, if he'd like.

And...mmm...I want gingerbread....yum!

Linda said...

Thanks for posting your gingerbread recipe. I tried it yesterday and it is sooooo good. It is now my go-to recipe!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...