STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hummers at the Landing...

We have been blessed with a stretch of gorgeous weather- sunny skies, not too hot, little humidity - just perfect! Several days ago I decided it was a good day to journey to Kings Landing. This is the historical settlement about 20 minutes upriver from Fredericton and it's one of my favorite places to visit. As always I spent some time in the Ingraham garden- it is a typical English garden, divided into quadrants with a sundial in the middle where the paths intersect. A tall hedge stretches across the back, and behind that at the edge of the property flows the beautiful Saint John River. It's a quiet and peaceful spot to wile away a little time.
However, if you stop and listen, there are always bees buzzing, birds chirping and sometimes the whirring wings of hummingbirds. I was patient and before long, sure enough a very industrious female hummer zoomed into the view of my lens. (Did you know that a female ruby throated hummer has a greyish white throat, rounded tail feathers and white spots on the tips of the outer tail feathers? The male of course has the ruby throat and a forked tail.) I thought you might enjoy these photos of our encounter.... I have long been fascinated by nature's little helicopters and although these pics are not great, they are the best I have managed so far; the hummers in my own garden seem to be camera shy....
Come back tomorrow and I'll share a few more Kings Landing pics, in particular one of my DD Laura on the receiving end of a bucket of water...

Peace
Linda

Sun shines, birds sing, garden angels flowers bring...




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures Linda. I love hummers too. We have lots of cardinal flower in the garden and they just love it so we have seen them but I am not the photographer that you are so I have never caught one. Linda G

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...