STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dog Days of August?

It seems that August is the busiest month for me... the days are whizzing by and I can't believe it's only a few more weeks and my kiddos will be gone back to University. The countdown has begun. It seems I'm spending alot of time in the kitchen these days; I have started getting some "meals" in the freezer for Mark- a batch of spaghetti sauce and vegetable beef soup are done. Still on the "to do" list- meatballs and turkey soup. I've also done batches of peach jam and pickles in the last week. My garden is yielding some yummy fresh veggies and we are trying to keep ahead of the peas, beans and lots of cukes. Tomatoes are just starting to ripen, I wish they'd hurry up. That first sun-ripened tomato always tastes sooo good... Ahh yes, the tastes of August- Peach Cobbler, Blueberry Pie, fresh corn on the cob....mmmm....
When not in the kitchen I have been consumed by Stieg Larsson's books - I have just finished The Girl Who Played With Fire and the third in the series, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest. All I can say is Wow! Wow!! Wow!!! If you have not read this Millennium trilogy, you must check it out! To call these books "absorbing" or "gripping" would be an understatement! I am an admitted night hawk, for sure, but I have been up reading the last week or two till well into the wee hours of morning... Talk about page-turners...
I have promised myself I will NOT start another book until I get a few small sewing projects finished up... my NYC wallhanging is calling me and I have several things to make for Laura's apartment..stay tuned...
I'm off to the quilt show in Houlton tomorrow. Can't wait to see The Quilt Show quilt by Laura Peterson of Bigfork Montana. You can read about it here. Maybe if you live in my area, you'll decide to venture to Houlton too! See you there?
Piece
Linda

Love is to the heart what the summer is to the farmer's year. It brings to harvest all the loveliest flowers of the soul.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Im not getting spaghetti, meatballs, etc., too? :(

Love the flower pic..

MissesStitches said...

I've read the first book, Linda, and just saw the movie today. The movie was great! I can't wait to read the second and third books!

GailM. said...

ok, I'm not much of a reader of fiction, but you've got my interest peaked. So, should they be read in order?

I never made it to Houlton, how was it? I had company at the cottage. Are you going to to an armchair quilt show for us?

Linda H said...

Yes Gail they definitely need to be read in order as the next one carries on from the previous...
The Houlton show was good but smaller. Not near as many quilts as previous years. Nice vendors mall though :) I wasn't going to post any pics as I did not always get the makers name and I feel they should be given credit. I will look through my pics (didn't take many) and see if there are some I can use...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...