STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, April 14, 2019

A New Runner for Spring



Do you ever buy a mini charm pack, bring it home and add it to your stash (and perhaps forget about it for awhile) then when you find it again, think "What am I going to do with this?!" Such was the case with this Prints Charming pack by Moda that I picked up (two of them, actually) a few years ago.  It's not really "my colours" but I guess a little variation is not a bad thing. "Step out of your box" and all that....









 I decided I would use it in a small runner. Mixed in with the prints were co-ordinating solids. Solids have never been my choice to work with (I know, never say "Never".. I actually have a solids project on my "Want to Make" list right now!!) but I do know I don't care for them mixed in with prints, co-ordinates or not! So I plucked those out and saved them for piecing the back.






As you can see, this is a very simple and quick runner to make up (great for a quick gift!) The pattern is from Connie Kresin Campbell's blog, Free Motion by the River which you can find here. She calls it the 6 Square Runner. Thanks Connie, for the great pattern!



I was just a bit short on fabric for the back, so by piecing
strips with the solid mini charms, I made it work. 



Because I pulled the solid squares, mine is a bit shorter than hers; Connie used all 42 mini charms on the front, I used just 36, so I have 6 "rows" whereas hers has 7. Both work! My runner's finished size is 14" x 31". 




I quilted it with an overall clamshell design with my walking foot in a matching soft beige Aurifil thread, and although I had purchased yardage of one of the dark greens to use for the binding, I really liked the background fabric better so ended up using it.









As you can see, I have a "supervisor" making sure I get that binding sewn on just so.
Scamp loves to see what I'm working on... you know the saying about curiosity and the cat!








Of course you could use a regular charm pack of 5" squares for this too, just slice each one into four 2.5" squares. I can see myself making another of these, probably with Christmas prints. I have part of a Christmas charm pack left from another project. I'll have to count the remaining squares to see if there would be enough. If not I'll just mix in a few other reds and greens... you wouldn't tell, would you?

I am linking to Wendy's Peacock Party here. Stop by to see what everyone has been working on this week.

Easter is coming...is everybunny at your house ready?

Peace,
Linda

Fabriholic: n: One who can't control the urge to buy fabric they don't have a project for. Again.

10 comments:

Vee said...

Very nice and, yes, I have charm paks that I have no idea what to do with. My daughter-in-law is hosting our Easter dinner this year so everything will be ready. 😊 How about you? A wonderful week to you!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Grandma Linda, I just read your last 6 posts. Very sweet grandchildren and a clever grandma to stitch them such great things. Love all your projects and you are definitely skilled with a walking foot. I’m envious! Thanks for visiting me today too. Happy Stitching!

Linda H said...

Thanks Jocelyn/Canadian Needle Nana. I cannot reply to you personally as you come up as a NoReply -Comment blogger, so hope you see this here. Thanks for your kind comment, I love stitching and quilting, and if it’s for the grands, all the better! :)

Created by Kathi said...

Linda, I love your table runner you are sharing this week and I love the porcelain or ceramic bunnies you are using for posing on this runner too. I hope you share this with Connie as you did a dynamite job using stashed fabric to make a darling runner and I agree with your use of the beige for the binding on this one ... green would probably have worked but the beige gives it a springy look to me :)
Have a wonderful Easter and keep warm! Kathi

Michelle said...

It’s a very cheerful runner! I find pieces that have that scrappy look so appealing. Well done! You have very cute quilt inspector!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

FlourishingPalms said...


What a sweet project. How nice that you have a something to use for spring decorating. Even more, I think it's fabulous that you quilt your own projects. I'm a huge proponent of a completely self-made project. Great work!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Yes I do have a couple of charm and mini charm packs that I have not done anything with, so this might be a good table runner to make too. I also follow Connie. I love your runner and the quilting is great too! Another blog friend calls her cat the "snoopavisor", lol! You have a pretty cat. Reminds me of a cat my mom had, actually there were 2 cats that were sisters and I named the one with the pink nose Cupcake and the brown nose Muffin. Your cat looks like Muffin. They were both long haired cats. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me a comment on my bag I linked on Wendy's Peacock Party.

Genevieve Gerrard said...

Hi Linda, I like the table runner, it's a sweet,simple design. And your feline supervisor is great! Thanks for visiting my blog, hope to see you again at future Peacock Parties.

Karen said...

Very pretty runner - it says "spring"! I cannot imagine quilting clamshells with a walking foot - what a patient woman you are!
I have some of those same bunnies. Polly knocked one over last week and his ears broke off...but they are back in place now, and you'd never know it happened. (thank you, Crazy Glue).

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Hi Linda, your table runner is absolutely beautiful! Little Scamp seems to love it. Thanks so much for sharing it with me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...