STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Shooting for the Moon


Like many, I was out last night trying to get photos of the "super moon." I quickly realized that a 300mm telephoto doesn't do much when we're talking about something that's thousands of miles away. However I had fun trying. This is the best shot I got, and with a little cropping it's not too bad for an amateur effort. I'd love to have a 1000mm telephoto, but I doubt that'll ever happen. I hope you saw the moon last night with your own eyes, that's always better than photos anyway!





I also got this silhouette of part of the downtown area while waiting for the moon to appear. This was taken from the walking bridge that crosses the river. These efforts do make me want to try more night photography, but that likely won't happen until our temps warm up again.

It is fun to try new things with the camera, that's how you learn...





Peace,
Linda

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~ Brian Littrell

15 comments:

kath001 said...

Both beautiful photos, Linda.

Coastal Ripples said...

Yours is a lovely shot of the moon. What a gorgeous colour. Sadly we had and have dense cloud at the moment so am glad to see your lovely photos.. B x

Linda H said...

Thanks Barbara. I can't reply directly to you as you are a No Reply commenter so I cannot access your email.
Sorry you missed the moon last night due to cloud. It was quite spectacular.

Jennifer said...

Great photos, Linda! The moon didn't show for us on Monday night, it had been raining and was cloudy, but we saw it last night. The photo I took is nowhere near as good as yours though.

Country Gal said...

lovely photos . I use my 55-300mm telephoto zoom lens all the time it is my favorite lens but yeah I would love a stronger one maybe one day lol ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Your shot is pretty darn good Linda, I've given up trying to capture the moon even with my telephoto lens. I'm sure location has a lot to do with it.
I too need to pull our my tripod and work on night photography.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I'm not much of a photographer, but I sure love your night skyline. We noticed the moon over the past weekend before it came it's closest and admired how big and beautiful it was. Then all the news was talking about it and we enjoyed it even more. Then we had cloud cover on the night it was it's closest. Typical of Northern Indiana, lol.
xx, Carol

Vee said...

Wasn't it a corker?! I felt as if I could reach out and touch it, especially as it was rising. Incredible! You did a great job capturing it.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Hello, Linda! Both of your photos are really beautiful. I would have liked to try to photograph the moon, even though my previous efforts were never very encouraging. The moon is indeed always much more beautiful seen with your own eyes.
It was cloudy here. Ha, I see Vee above is turning the knife in the wound. :D
Thank you for sharing these lovely photos!

Nadezda said...

Hello, Linda!
I liked your blog and have read and watched your photos. Your pictures of autumn leaves are stunning, so bright and colorful. Unfortunately we couldn't see the moon that night because of very cloudy sky.

Nadezda

https://northern-garden.blogspot.ru/

Pamela Gordon said...

You got a wonderful photo of the moon Linda! It was so orange when it came up but didn't show that in my pics plus it was too high by the time I saw it. I love your skyline silhouette too!

Karen said...

Great shots, Linda. We've been moon-gazing here as well, and understand that all along my home shore on the Minas Basin (i.e. Five Islands), the tides have been REALLY high this week. These are special treats from Mother Nature, for sure!

ann said...

Thanks for visiting the Garden Spot. I enjoyed you moon photo along with the narrative. I don't photos of the moon anymore for the same reason. We just enjoy it for the moment.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You got some great shots ..l no apology needed! We missed it totally, due to unforeseen circumstances, so I am grateful for he shares.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Wow! It really was a super moon, wasn't it? And you take the best photos! Enjoy your week. Hugs, Diane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...