STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

On My Bookshelf...

Have you read any good books lately? I always have a book on the go, always. I read every night (in bed, usually) before I turn out the light, even if only for 10 minutes.. but usually an hour at least. It relaxes me and helps me forget the stresses of the day. I keep an ever growing list of books I want to read and am always open to suggestions, if you have any.
Today's review is brief, as is the book. Sold by Zana Muhsen is a true account of modern slavery. When she was fifteen, Zana and her younger sister Nadia who were born and raised in Birmingham England, were told by their father (a Yemeni) that he was sending them on a six week vacation to Yemen so they could get to know his family better. What sounded like a wonderful vacation trip quickly turned into a nightmare and it didn't take the girls long to figure out their father had literally sold them into marriage and they were helpless prisoners. They had to adapt to their tragic fate and a very foreign way of life where women have absolutely no rights, living lives of servitude. They lived in very primitive conditions and endured rape, beatings and childbirth with no modern "assistance". After 8 years of living this nightmare, Zana managed to escape, leaving her younger sister and children behind. Without giving away any more of the story, I will say it was a captivating read. The best written book ever? No. A heart-wrenching story? Yes. It opens your eyes to what women in such male-dominated cultures endure in their daily lives of  such a wretched existence. It's a quick and easy read, and it makes one appreciate what a wonderful life we have, living in North America where we take for granted such things as running water and electricity, anaesthetics, contraception and medical care. Others are not so fortunate.
I have just finished reading The Clifton Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer, all five of them. That will be my next review. I'm currently reading A Higher Call by Adam Makos, a true WWII story. What are you reading these days?

Peace,
Linda

"Maybe Heaven will be a library. Then I will be able to finish my to-read list." ~ Kellie Elmore

4 comments:

Tomoko said...

How sad to know the story is true. But I know events like that is happening in our real world. How tragic.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I don't think I could read this book. But I am happy that those that endure these tragic events write about them because I think there are so many that don't believe, or choose to ignore the atrocities that happen all over the world.

I look forward to your review on the Jeffery Archer books. I have read a few of his books and always enjoyed them. I really must find time to read again.

xx, Carol

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

A tragedy that continues to happen. My read right now is a light tea murder mystery - the latest by Laura Childs called 'Ming Tea' and it's on my Kobo ereader.
Happy Canada Day Linda.

Vee said...

Oh that sounds similar to a book I am reading. It never ceases to amaze me that Western women are mostly silent on this issue when it is coming closer to us by the day. Thank you for the review.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...