STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, February 27, 2015

Of Birds and Books...







Today's "bird count" at the feeders and suet treats included chickadees, pine siskins (I think?), a
nuthatch, a hairy woodpecker, a downy woodpecker and a flock of waxwings which were feasting on apples that are still on one tree. See the apples in my header photo? That's what they were devouring today... Ollie is keeping a very close eye on the feeders - he is just as interested as I am in what is fluttering about. I occasionally catch him licking his lips... oh how I wish I could read his mind!










So are you ready for another book suggestion? The Pecan Man by Cassie Dandridge Selleck is a quick and easy read, but it is by no means a "light" story. Set in central Florida in the fictional town of Mayville in the mid seventies, the story has three main characters: recently widowed Ora Lee Beckworth, her maid Blanche, and a homeless elderly black man she hires to do mowing and yardwork. When he is arrested for murder, only Ora knows the truth. She and Blanche soon find themselves caught in a web of lies, and lies can be self-perpetuating... Years later, Ora tries to set the record straight. This book has been described as a cross between The Help and To Kill a Mockingbird, an apt description, I think. At less than 150 pages, it's a fast and entertaining read, with a very interesting (unforeseen) twist at the end...


Peace,
Linda

"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." ~ Haruki Murakami

5 comments:

sunny said...

The book sounds interesting, I'll be adding it to my list. i really enjoyed the last book I read that was your suggestion! Enjoy the birds. We don't get much variety at our feeders, but I sure enjoy watching them.

Jennifer said...

My library doesn't have "The pecan man".....bummer, because I have enjoyed your book selections. "The gravity of birds" was such an interesting read. Sounds as though the birds have discovered your treats!

Jeanna said...

How exciting to have so many birds enjoying the suet. At least the apples aren't going to waste either. Poor Ollie...so close but yet so far away.

The book sound interesting, maybe I'll see if it is available at the local library. Today is a good day to read as it has been raining for hours. The streets are flooded in many areas around town.

May as well read or stitch.

Country Gal said...

It is wonderful to see all the birdies here to as they all are telling me spring in the air , Sounds like a good book ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

Dasha said...

How nice that the birds are coming to visit, and that you have the opportunity to actually see them. There is a storm raging at the moment with a really strong wind, and I have watched a poor magpie hanging on for dear life to the telegraph wires. I suspect that he was caught off guard and the wind was so strong that he felt he should stay put and not try to fly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...