STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

A New Cookie Favourite

Christmas Eve is now only a week away... can you hear the slight panic in my voice? Actually I'm finally starting to feel like I've made significant progress. I'm not ready, mind you, but I have made good progress. The Christmas letter is written and all cards to be mailed are on their way and in some weary postal carrier's bag by now hopefully. I do still have some to go by email but I'll chip away at those each day. I've made good strides on the shopping front and so far have avoided the dreaded mall totally. I'll probably cave in the next day or two, and try to get all the necessary stops there done in one visit. It's not my favourite place at this time of year. The decorating is almost finished, all that remains is what I need more than two hands for, so I expect I'll pin down the hubby tonight for a little help. And the baking has begun as well. Two batches of cookies are done, two batches of Nut Brittle are also done (and already given away) and I have all the fixin's for the Christmas Pudding; I'll mix it up and steam it this evening. Shortbreads and Cinnamon Sticks (shortbread logs rolled in cinnamon sugar) are next on the list. A friend gifted me with two containers of homemade mincemeat a few days ago so I am seeing a Mincemeat pie in my future too.. yummy! What a wonderful gift that was!! Good homemade mincemeat ranks right up there with good dark chocolate in my books! I can't name the person here who was the giver, and she knows why... but I'm sure she'll read this, so THANK YOU again. Know that it has found a good home! lol
I've tried a new cookie recipe, given to me by my friend Sue. She said she found it in Best of Bridge (sorry I don't know which one) and it was called Tutti Fruitti Cookies. I just call them Yummy!! Seriously, I could eat the entire batch myself. I won't. But I could. Just sayin'...
So I thought you might like to try them too. Here you go:

Tutti Fruitti Cookies

1/2 cup soft butter
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups toasted coconut
1 cup dried apricots, chopped
1 cup craisins (dried cranberries)

Spread coconut on baking sheet and toast under broiler until lightly browned - watch carefully! (I did one cup at a time for more even browning) Let cool. Chop dried apricots. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and sour cream, mix well. Add dry ingds., mix well. Stir in cooled toasted coconut, apricots and craisins. The original recipe says to divide dough in half and roll into two logs, wrap in waxed paper and chill well, then slice into slices about 1/3" wide. I thought the dough was a little sticky for that so I just dropped them from a spoon like you would with chocolate chip cookies (yes I always have chocolate on my mind ) Bake at 350°F until lightly browned, about 8-9 minutes.
I threw in some chopped pecans as well - yes I'm a nut lover too! Trust me - these are SO good, you will want to make another batch as soon as they are gone!!  :)  Not "fancy" - just darn good with a hot cuppa or a glass of cold milk!!

Peace,
Linda

Dear Santa,
I've been SO good all year!
Okay, most of the time.
Once in a while.
Oh never mind, I'll just buy my own stuff.

8 comments:

Vee said...

Sounds very good! I love craisins in cookies and nuts. Yum. Sounds as if you're coming in for a good solid landing on all fronts. Merry On!

Pamela Gordon said...

Linda, I'm glad to hear you are just about ready for Christmas. You work fast under pressure. lol Your cookies look delicious and I like your striped dishes. Are you ready for the snow??

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Yes, here we are a week away. The Tutti Fruitti cookies look delicious and the kind I like with tea.
One family meal down, one to go this weekend and smooth sailing into Christmas with my 94 year old friend being picked up to have turkey with hubby and I.

Mary Ellen said...

Linda i will give the cookies a try tomorrow they look yummy.Your Christmas pudding looked good also wish you ad added that recipe as well Merry Christmas.

Jennifer said...

Those cookies look so good, and I bet they taste good too! We're having a very low-key Christmas this year, just the two of us, but will be driving several hours south just after new year to be with our son and DIL for the birth of their first child.

Lorraine said...

This is a yummee post! I can hardly believe Christmas is here either - where did 2014 go?

Jeanna said...

These sound so delicious, Linda. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I think I will try them this weekend when I START my baking. I don't think I have ever been as far behind at Christmas as I am right now.

Merry Christmas!

Sheila said...

They look so yummy, must give them a try . Merry Christmas to you and your family Linda .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...