STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Headed south? Not yet...

The hummers are still here! I thought they would have headed south by now but there was one at my feeder this afternoon. Then she buzzed over to the deck to have a sweet sip from my mandevilla. See her?  No? I guess she buzzed away before you could see her. She is SO fast... Seriously, I have tried and tried to get a photo of this little speed demon with no luck this year. I see her almost daily but she seems to be camera shy.
The days are cooling and growing shorter, but my mandevilla is flourishing. It has more buds and blooms now than it has had all summer.. go figure! I am now bringing it into the garage on cool nights to see how long I can keep it going, but I doubt that all the buds on it now will ever become full blooms, unless we have a real warm spell (for more than a few days)  hint hint
Do you still have hummingbirds in your area?

Peace on earth, today, Sept. 11... 
Linda

"Like the hummingbird sipping nectar from every flower, I fly joyfully through my days, seeing beauty in everything." ~  Amethyst Wyldfyre

5 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

Here I was staring at your picture and trying to see the hummer. Duh! lol I haven't seen any here the past 2 days. I don't know if they all left or not as there were lots around on Monday. Your mandivilla is beautiful and I hope it will bloom a little longer for you. How did you like the storm tonight? Crazy eh?

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I'm not sure if the hummers are still here in Ontario. You have to be looking at the right time to see them.
Judith

Anonymous said...

According to a news article in the paper for the weather for fall. It is supposed to be a hot dry autumn. Today was nice!

GailM. said...

Yes, we still have a hummer or two at the cottage. I hate to take the feeder down yet. I'm sure this weekend, there will be none in sight. They say the colorful males go first, then the females leave a week or two later. Is that true?

Kathy said...

We still have our hummingbirds too Linda, and today reaching 28 degrees, I doubt if they will head south to the tropics today, because we will be tropical here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...