STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, August 16, 2013

Coconut Crunch Dessert - quick and easy!

I'm sure you've been wondering what has happened to me this last week.. no I am not MIA. Life has just been keeping me very busy. I am currently out of town; Laura and I have just made a quick trip to NS to find her a place to live come September. Check. She visited her new place of employment and met her boss and all the staff. Check. She is on track and gearing up for the next chapter in her life.
I am getting together with friends this weekend from my University days...so long ago! lol It's a reunion of sorts with several travelling from around the world to be here. It'll be great fun with lots of stories being re-told and a good amount of laughter, for sure. I'll be back home on Sunday and back to more regular blogging next week. I do still have one or two more posts I'd like to do about our Prague trip, if you will indulge me. Until then- here's a yummy recipe you might like to try....

I haven't posted a recipe for a while so here's a quick and easy - and yummy- dessert. If you like coconut, I guarantee you'll like this dessert - and it's easier than making a coconut cream pie as there is no pastry to make!

Coconut Crunch Dessert

Crust:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup slivered almonds
1 1/4 cups coconut
Mix together, and lightly press into a greased 9"x13" pan. Bake for ~20 minutes at 325F, until lightly browned, breaking up with a fork and stirring once. Let cool and divide crumbs, pressing about 3/4 in the pan as a base, and reserve remaining 1/4 for topping.

Filling:
1  3.4 oz. (100g.) pkg. instant vanilla pudding mix
1  3.4 oz. (100g.) pkg. instant coconut pudding mix*
2 2/3 cups cold milk
2 cups whipped topping (Cool Whip) or 1 250 ml. whipping cream, whipped
Beat pudding mixes with milk, then fold in Cool Whip or whipped cream. Spoon over crumb base and smooth. Top with remaining crumbs. Cover and refrigerate.

*If you cannot find the coconut pudding mix, it is likely available at your local bulk food store - I get mine at our local Scoop and Save. 1 package equals about 2/3 cup. Be sure you get the instant, not the kind that requires cooking.

Peace,
Linda

"Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart."
~ Erma Bombeck

1 comment:

Jeanna said...

Oooh Linda, this sounds delish. Coconut is one of my family's favorites so I'll give this a try.

Best wishes to Laura on the next chapter of her life and congrats on finding a place to live so quickly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...