STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

New York, New York....

Whew, is it hot enough for you? My outdoor thermometer hit 100F this afternoon. I stayed inside most of the day and got my money's worth out of the air conditioning! haha
I returned from the Big Apple on Sunday evening; I'm sure glad we were there last week and not this week. This heat wave would be a killer in that city! We had a fabulous time; got to know each other much better, saw the sights and some great entertainment, and had lots of laughs. What more could one ask for? As I expected the highlight for me was the Broadway Shows. I'd be hard pressed to choose a favourite as all were excellent. I loved the music in Mamma Mia and was singing along to all the songs. The dancing in Billy Elliot was absolutely awesome, the boy who had the lead role was phenomenal. What talent - he will go far, I'm sure. I can see why it has won 10 Tony Awards. I enjoyed the story of The Four Seasons in Jersey Boys and of course the music took me right back.. There were a few numbers I was not familair with, but most of the songs had me singing along. Remember Sherry? Big Girls Don't Cry? Ragdoll and Walk Like a Man ? I would go back to see any of these shows in a "New York minute" as they say... Of course there are others I want to see too, before I start repeating... I've started my list: Memphis, Wicked, and Come Fly Away are all good possibilities at present. Other temptations would be Cirque de Soleil and Blue Man Group. James Taylor and Carole King were in town, Harry Connick Jr., Ringo Starr and Lady Gaga were all coming next week. Bernadette Peters, Kelsey Grammer and Denzel Washington were all starring in Broadway Shows... Sigh! I think I could stay there a month (I couldn't afford it , but nice to dream...) and still have shows and performances I'd like to see... Oh to have unlimited time and money...
NYC is definitely unique. It is truly "the city that never sleeps". One only has to walk through Times Square to feel the pulse, the energy, the excitement. Our hotel was right on Broadway at Times Square, so to say we were "right in the middle of things" is an understatement! If you have been there, you know of what I speak! As promised, we (well most of us) wore red and white on Canada Day and while waiting for our bus that morning, sang O Canada right on the sidewalk outside the hotel- so we can say "We sang on Broadway"!!! We got lots of looks and even some applause! Our tour guide told us she would try to get us on stage at the Apollo Theatre to sing as well, but it didn't work out as we were running short on time.. Too bad- that would really have been a good story to tell.
Well that's all the NYC stories for tonight. To be continued.....

Peace
Linda

"I want to wake up in the city that never sleeps...."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great trip. THanks for sharing. NY is a city I would love to see but as Craig hates cities he has no interest. Eveytime my girlfriend and I planned a trip, one of us would get pregnant. Maybe it is time to plan again now that the danger has passed. Linda G

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...