STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Proud to be a Canadian...

I've been working on a red and white wallhanging off and on for a few weeks; I mentioned it a while back. Several of you have been asking how it's coming along. I was not going to share any pics until it was totally finished, but here it is today- the top is done and ready to be layered and quilted. My goal is to have it done and hanging by July 1st.
I'm not all that fond of red, but I must admit, I do enjoy working with red and white. Guess I'm developing a liking for two color quilts (those of you who really know me, know that BLUE and white is more "me"...) Anyway, I saw a similar wallhanging in a show in Ottawa more than 10 years ago, and at the time purchased a little "kit" of pre-cut 2 1/2" red squares. I've been meaning to make it for years, but it's one of those things that just got pushed further and further down the "to do" list.
Since I've been the New Brunswick regional rep for the Canadian Quilters Association for 2 years now, and with all my teaching, I have accumulated quite a few Guild and Show pins. A while back I was thinking that I should have something to display them on, since they no longer all fit on my Guild nametag. I remembered the red squares and decided I would try to do a simplified version of the CQA/ACC logo... so here it is! I drew it out on graph paper and figured out my piecing sequence for putting it together. Those of you who are CQA/ACC members will notice a square of the CQA 25th anniversary fabric (red maple leaf on a black background) in the upper left corner of the maple leaf. I used 50 different reds. I have croppped away some of the white border in this photo; I haven't decided how wide I want it, so left it a little extra wide until I decide how I'm going to quilt it... Hopefully I'll have it quilted and bound for Canada Day, and you will see it again then...
Piece,
Linda
"Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out." ~ Art Linkletter

4 comments:

GailM. said...

How wonderful...Yes, I see the 25th anniversary CQA fabric. and I love the idea of having a place to put your pins on. Oh, I want to make one too. I Maybe for next July 1. If you put a label on the back of your piece, I have a 1" embroidery file of the CQA logo. I could stitch it out for you if you like. You have 50 different reds! WOW. This summer, I find that reds are hard to find. I've been keeping my eye out for reds because I'm doing the Alex Anderson quilt. I've only been buying fat or long quarters because I want lots of reds. I'll collect through the summer then start on the Alex quilt in the fall.
I love your Maple Leaf. Happy Canada Day!

MissesStitches said...

Linda, this is absolutely beautiful! I am so glad that I found your blog. I absolutely love the Canadian flag (and your national anthem, too, so much better than ours) and your reds are beautiful. I've got to send you a link to my sister's blog, where she showed a beautiful red/blend quilt--reminds me of yours. Red can be beautiful, too!

Linda G said...

Love your maple leaf. Have a wonderful Canada Day on Wednesday. Hope that your garden is not sogging away being eaten by slugs and beetles like ours is. Linda

Kathy said...

The fussy cut CQA square is so well placed! We ARE so lucky to have been born her and been a part of this great country for all of our lives.
Kathy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...