STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, May 26, 2017

Tulips and Violets... Ahhh Sweet Spring!




The Canada 150 tulips created for Canada's 150th birthday this year have put on a show! Last fall when I started looking for them, early enough I thought, it seemed all the Home Hardwares in the province were already sold out. I was SO disappointed. So I bought some solid dark red and some "striped" ones. I can't even remember now if they were sold together or if I "mixed" them myself.  The dark red is almost a burgundy and the others are a creamy white with a large "flash" of red .They are beautiful and I wish now I had bought more. My photos really don't do them justice.



A week or two later I found the "official" Canada 150 tulip bulbs at our local nursery, Scott's. So I bought some of them too, of course. (Like chocolate, one can never have too many!) As the buds grew I was worried - they looked like they were going to be solid white. But the red splashes appeared just before the buds started opening. And they are beautiful too- I don't know which ones I prefer.


In another area of my backyard is a large swath of purple violets, which just happen to be our provincial flower. Although my hubby considers them a "weed" - he likes a perfect lawn -  I love them and beg him not to mow them off before I've really had a chance to enjoy them!  :)
Aren't they lovely?




Peace,
Linda

"The beautiful spring came; and when Nature resumes her loveliness, the human soul is apt to revive also." ~ Harriet Ann Jacobs

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love your violets too! Many years ago we were visiting a ghost town, a former industrial site, and violets were everywhere - perhaps women long ago planted them for a touch of beauty in that harsh landscape. We smelled them long before we saw them. Your tulips are beautiful, and I really like the way you have mixed plain and fancy together.

kath001 said...

I love the deep red paired with the wide swath of red on the cream color! So gorgeous and rich!

Karen said...

Your tulips are stunning!! I only got a few, but my brother gave me some Canada 150 gladiola bulbs last week, so I am looking forward to seeing them bloom. I'm with your husband re purple violets; they are pretty, but a real nuisance in the yard. They are everywhere they shouldn't be (like in the rhubarb...). I am glad you enjoy them!

Janet said...

Oh my goodness the flowers are all so beautiful! I love all the tulips - very Canadian. And the violets are gorgeous. Much prettier than a perfect lawn. I found some of those growing yesterday where I am in Saskatchewan right now. They aren't a flower that I am familiar with but I thought they were a violet. Thanks for sharing!!

Vee said...

You have gobs of them! They look so gorgeous growing en masse. I have just one of the commemorative tulips growing in my garden. I am most proud of her!

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Hello Linda, I too, like Janet above, think that the violets are much prettier and more special than even a perfect lawn. :)
Your own Canada 150 mixture looks stunning, and you have photographed the dark red so well. For some reason, dark red and fuchsia are colours I never manage to reproduce well in photos.
Big hugs! Happy Sunday!

Lee said...

I think the violets have been extra spectacular this year, don't you? Such a lovely carpet -
and my husband is not so worried about a perfect lawn anymore.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I've seen lots of the Canada 150 bulbs featured on Face Book, nice displays unlike my sparse lining of our front walkway. The violets look wonderful en masse like that. I used to have purple ones but then a friend gave me a couple of white flowering plants and the purple have disappeared.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...