STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Quilt Atlantic Retreat 2017

I don't know how the days are flying by so quickly! How can it be a whole week since the Quilt Atlantic Retreat at White Point Beach Resort? To say it was an awesome weekend would be an understatement... friendly students who were keen, beautiful location, awesome meals, wonderful accommodations, and a well organized schedule keeping us all busy and engaged, but not pressured or rushed. The only disappointment was the weather, the skies were overcast, we had some rain and saw little sun. But we can't control the weather so we just carried on and had fun anyway, despite the conditions outside. Things did brighten up on Sunday morning...
The seas were high and the surf was pounding the whole weekend. There's just something mesmerizing about the sea.. I could watch it and listen to it for hours...




The new lodge (rebuilt after a devastating fire a few years ago) is beautiful. The dining room overlooks the beach and the ocean, as did my classroom space. I should have taken more photos inside... Here is the lodge from the beach.


The property is home to many bunny rabbits, and the bunny theme is evident around the resort (such as adirondack chairs with bunny ears and feet) and in the gift shop. But the poor weather must have been keeping the bunnies in their burrows, as I only saw two, and had my hands full both times but no camera. (I'll remedy that if I ever get back!)

I didn't take any photos during the classes (bad Linda!) but Bev, our fabulous retreat organizer, has kindly sent me a few of hers. There were 5 teachers offering 5 half day classes, 3 full day classes, and my class was 1.5 days. I'm not sure how the students ever made choices with so many wonderful options: a hand appliquéd miniature landscape, stained glass reverse appliqué, wool appliqué, hand quilting, hand appliqué, jewelry from fabric, curved pieced appliqué, miniatures and rug hooking. Photo Credit to Bev Crouse for the following photos:

Teacher Sue showing her wool appliqué bunny (keeping with the bunny theme!)
Student Kathleen working on her hand appliquéd landscape.
Teacher Brenda and student Wendy discussing stained glass reverse appliqué.
Student Lyn's miniature fish blocks in my class. (I hope she'll send me a photo of the finished quilt.)



Student Sherrille looks pleased with her miniature Log Cabin block

And... if you have a birthday at White Point, you get the "bunny ears" treatment in the dining room and the staff sing Happy Birthday! ♫♫  Here is teacher Jane of River House Rug Hooking in Petite Riviere, celebrating her Saturday birthday. Happy Birthday Jane!


All in all it was a wonderful weekend. I feel honoured to have been a part of it. Huge thanks to organizer Bev Crouse and to Donna Hatt of White Point.

Piece!
Linda

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." ~ Walt Disney

9 comments:

Vee said...

I'm so glad that you were able to go. Back along there had been some question. Bad weather doesn't hamper too much on such a weekend. It really looks beautiful there.

Pamela Gordon said...

Beautiful photos of White Point Beach. I know it's a gorgeous spot and there is nothing like being by the ocean no matter what the weather. It looks like you all had a wonderful quilting weekend away.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

It must have been a wonderfully interesting and rewarding weekend, Linda!
Hmm, quilting is certainly fun, but I couldn't have taken my eyes off the beach and the waves. :) The pebbles in your collage look perfect.
Hugs!

HollyM said...

What a lively place to have a retreat! Looks like a nice variety of classes.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That looks fabulous! I would be staring out at the ocean too but I know you were happy to do it all! What a gorgeous building! Makes me think of a scene in Anne of Green Gables. Hugs, Diane

Rosie said...

Your weekend truly did look wonderfully splendid! The beach and ocean are so pretty, I don't think I would have gotten much done except for enjoying myself outdoors if I had been in your place! I hope you have a wonderfully splendid week!

Marie said...

It looks like you had tons of fun. I cannot BELIEVE the size of that log cabin block - totally love it!

Janet said...

Sounds like an awesome time! I am going to a retreat of this nature in Saskatchewan at the end of May. Having never been to one before I am not sure what to expect, but hopefully it will be as delicious as yours. Lucky you (or maybe I should say talented you) to get to go as an instructor.

Lesley said...

Sounds like it was a wonderful retreat! Love seeing that lminiature log cabin block!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...