STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Wildflower Wednesday

I thought I would share some photos of the Canada Lily (lilium canadense) with you today. This plant, also known as the Meadow Lily, is common to eastern North America, growing in moist meadows and woodland margins. It can grow to around 5 feet tall with a number of nodding bell-shaped blooms which range from yellow to orange-red, with darker spots. This one was my height, about five and a half feet tall with a good number of blooms. The Canada Lily is on the endangered species list so I am always excited to see a number of them growing downriver from Fredericton. Last year there seemed to be very few of them, this year there are many more. Apparently the buds and roots of this plant were once gathered and eaten by the North American natives.

Piece,
Linda

"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks". ~ John Muir

2 comments:

Marie Alton said...

Hi Linda ... long time no chat!
Thanks for posting this ... I discovered this very plant recently down in our "gully" ... and was intrigued with them ... but didn't know what they were...now I do!

Hugs ... Marie

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi Linda, I simply adore these lilies.. they used to grow in a wet area on a nearby farm when we lived in Springfield... Thanks for reminding me of them!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...