STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, July 1, 2018

Happy Canada Day!


Happy Canada Day! July 1 has rolled around again and I am more proud than ever to be Canadian. I profess my love for Canada each year, but this year, I am feeling even more thankful to live where I do. With what's going on south of our border and the unrest in other areas of the world, I am so happy and proud to be here in my beautiful little corner of paradise in this great country. Canada may not be perfect, but I sure wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Every Canadian should be celebrating today with great pride our country and for what it stands.

I am happy to share with you today a small "finish". This little "Canadian Pride" quilt measures about 16" x 21". The pattern is called "Proud to be..." and is by Black Eyed Susan Designs. It is made of 12 Log Cabin blocks (still my favourite block!) and machine quilted, the centre portion with 1/2" cross hatch with 50 wt. Aurifil and the red blocks with a diagonal straight line in each log with a 50 wt. red thread. The maple leaf is machine appliquéd (after the crosshatching was done) and finished with buttonhole stitch with a 12 wt. thread.
The blocks are 5.25" finished, with 3/4" logs. How do you make Log Cabin blocks? Do you have trouble keeping them from being wonky? There are a number of methods, some perhaps more successful than others. One thing that does help is cutting the strips on the lengthwise grain - this helps them be more stable and less stretchy. When I have a small number of LC blocks to do, as in this project, I foundation piece them, that way they are perfectly straight and square.



The backing fabric is one of the Discover Canada fabrics by Robert Kaufman, featuring names of many Canadian cities, the perfect choice I thought!
The above two photos are a bit dark, the reds are actually bright rich vivid reds...



Peace and Love,
Linda, proud Canadian!





"Canada is not a melting-pot. Canada is an association of peoples who have, and cherish, great differences but who work together because they can respect themselves and each other."
~ Vincent Massey

7 comments:

Dolores said...

I too am a proud Canadian. Happy Canada Day to you too. It's sweltering hot here and so I am staying indoors.

MissesStitches said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I love your flag and I love your national anthem. Sometimes I think about moving north. . . . .

Linda H said...

It seems Blogger has not fixed the Comment issue as I am not getting comments forwarded to my inbox so can only reply here. Thanks for visiting, Misses Stitches. Glad you like my flag quilt! 🇨🇦

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Hi Linda
Blogger HAS fixed the comments, but you have to go to your settings and re-set where you want comments sent. Delete your email address, then save, then re-enter your address and save. If you moderate you have to do the same for the moderation setting.

Your quilt is wonderful and I love the backing so much! I suspect that the situation with the tub I don't claim as MY president has pulled Canadians closer than you were before. As a VERY political person I am stunned. I can only hope our young people step up and take over the next elections.
xx, Carol

Jennifer said...

What a great design! It's a little late now, but best wishes for Canada Day - hope it was a good one.

kath001 said...

Belated happy wishes for Canada Day! Your quilt is beautiful!

And I'm with Carol (above) on the blogger comment situation and the political one. My comments are emailing to me after doing the same as Carol described. And please don't judge us all by that rude, narcissistic blowhard in office. A lot of us (please let it be enough) can't wait till he's out.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I enjoy reading all of your post. I like to write a little comment to support you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...