STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Gemini in Purple








It's time to share a finished quilt project with you. I wouldn't want you to think I've been lazy, in my absence! (Just the contrary, I've been busy and have lots of projects and book reviews lined up for you!)



This quilt was a Christmas gift for Mark and Maggie.







Their living room colour scheme is neutral - greys and black, and Maggie's favourite colour is purple. So when I found this Hoffman Bali Pop called Urbana (BP #612) I knew it was perfect! I added about 10 more fabrics to get the required number of strips. The purples ranged from true rich royal purples to burgundy and pinky-purples to more subdued blue-purples. The greys were lovely and there were a few very dark teal greens as well. I added a few more greys and some blacks.

The pattern by Blue Underground Studios, Inc. is called Gemini. Not sure that the pattern is still available (I don't see it on their site) but they have many more that are equally as nice! I have made it before and knew it would be quick and easy. I thought its modern look would suit their 30th floor Toronto condo. I was very pleased with how it turned out, in fact I like it much better than the one I made myself from the same pattern. Go figure...




















It was quilted by Gwenda Quilts with a grey thread, in a pattern called Wildmouse. I love the circular quilting design, it suited perfectly! Thanks Gwenda! I think you can see the quilting a bit  in these closeups...







Sometimes when I buy a precut such as a Bali Pop, there are some fabrics in the collection that I don't care for. When I first started quilting, I had to like every fabric, but I've learned over the years, that when they're all together in a  project, the ones you dislike don't stand out. The value is more important than the colour or the print. There were a few in this collection that I would not have chosen, but I did leave them in. I thought most of them were gorgeous! Of course, what's not to like about Bali batiks!! They're kind of like chocolates- not many I don't like!  :)









I found a perfect grey print for the backing, and pieced a strip of leftover bits to add some interest...
It measures 54" x 72".  

Oh yes.. they loved the quilt! 

I am linking to Linky Tuesday. Stop by there and see many more quilting projects.










Up next... Mr. Noah!






Piece!
Linda

"All the other colors are just colors. But purple seems to have a soul - when you look at it, it's looking back at you."  ~ Uniek Swain

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

What an interesting quilt - an abstract watercolour painting, it would be at home on the wall or on a bed.

Jeanna said...

That pattern looks very familiar but I don't remember it being named Gemini. Love the colors and I can imagine it will look elegant in their grey/black room. Looking forward to seeing pics of Noah. I'm sure he is getting to be quite the little man.

Kathy E. said...

This is so gorgeous in so many ways! As a purple lover, I am instantly drawn to it. The fabrics you chose are perfect for the pattern. This will be cherished always...lucky!

Karen said...

An absolutely beautiful quilt, Linda, and it sounds perfect for them. I bet they were thrilled!

Vee said...

Though purple is not a personal favorite, this quilt is stunning. What a beautiful gift to your friends. Yes, it does have that modern vibe.

Pamela Gordon said...

What a gorgeous quilt. So pretty, Linda.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...